Numbness in feet

• 1 reply
  • 52 subscribers

Following treatment six years ago for ovarian cancer using Carboplatin and Pacitaxel, I was left with numbness in both feet which sadly has remained. 

Having cancer detected again this year, I am now being treated with Carboplatin and Caelyx.   I feel the numbness is increasing and I have recently, since my fifth (of six) cycle, that I have lost control of my right ankle and can’t lift it beyond horizontal.  This means that I am stumbling about and GM unable to drive. 

i had an MRI but the cause couldn’t be identified. 

i have suffered with sciatica in the past. 

has anybody else has this problem?  

• Hi Marie

I had carboplatin and paclitaxel for endometrial cancer in 2022.

I am just coming up to my 2 year post treatment check up.

I developed the numbness (neuropathy) from the first cycle of chemo and despite changes in doses- it continued. It persists today. It has been discussed during check up appointments and I was told for most people it does eventually improve. I have been prescribed amitriptyline for the nerve pain but it does not do a lot for the other sensations. I have also had a physiotherapy assessment which has recommended an exercise programme. i have recently began this and am seeing some difference. 

It may be worth asking whether a referral to a physio would help. My feeling was that although the neuropathy could not be cured for me, the exercises would help prevent it getting worse and exercising the muscles in the area would help improve stability. I don't know whether this is something that should be done during treatment or whether it is better to wait until after treatment- but worth asking. The exercises are basic but I believe are helping. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm