Post surgery- debulking

• 2 replies
  • 54 subscribers

I had debulking surgery for ovarian cancer stage 3C: Hysterectomy and part of momentum and disease in a few spots around tissues.

The outcome of the surgery has been that there is still trace of cancer, a few millimetres and in an area that could not be reached or operated. I still have 2 sessions of chemio to do; I hope this will clear the rest. My drugs are Carboplatin and Taxel

Has anyone had similar surgery outcome after debulking? and has it cleared after the rest of chemio? It would be encouraging

Thank you 

• Hi Azzurra

I am sorry to hear of your ovarian cancer. I hope that you are recovering well from the surgery.

My story is a bit different to yours as my cancer was in my endometrium. I had a hysterectomy to remove the cancer but my post op pathology showed some lymphatic/vascular invasion so I was told I would need chemotherapy and external radiotherapy.

My chemo was 4 sessions of the same drugs as you. Mine was done on a 21 day cycle- where day 1 I spent in hospital and then 20 days at home to recover. It was tough at times but doable. There were side effects but on the whole they could be managed by medication. I kept most of my hair due to scalp cooling. 

The purpose of the chemo was to mop up any stray cells and I am just coming up to my next check up, 2 years from the end of treatment. From what i was told carboplatin and paclitaxel (taxol) are effective for many people and have been used for a long time. 

I hope that your treatment goes well and deals with the tiny amount of cancer that is left. 

Good luck and if there is anything you want to ask about the chemo, then please do.

We also have the Support Line that you are welcome to call, if you feel like talking things through would help.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Jane, thank you.