Picc line - what for?

• 2 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Random question, but has anyone had a picc line inserted ahead of surgery?

I randomly got an appointment for a picc line insertion - I’ve questioned what it’s for and the nurses can only assume it’s for a potential staging surgery. The consultant’s secretary didn’t know about it.

One of the chemo nurses who was asked to change my dressing after it was inserted said she’s not known one to be used for surgery even if the veins are bad - and certainly not done prior to admission.

I did go for pre-op and they couldn’t get any blood as the one good vein was still bruised from a previous test but the nurse said that a dr or anaesthetist would probably try and insert a cannula on the ward and take blood then as they would also have an ultrasound scanner available too (I did mention to her that I had had a picc line put in after my last surgery when they couldn’t get a cannula in after removing them).

so I’m just intrigued if others with bad veins have had a picc line inserted prior to any surgery (which I also don’t have a date for yet).

Thanks!

• I had a picc line inserted while I was in hospital with sepsis. This was because they were finding it hard to get bloods I was bruised badly with them trying. I don’t remember it going in obviously because of the sepsis and I think I was sedated too. Eight month on and I still have the picc line but I have district nurses come in weekly to clean the picc line and change the dressing, it’s saved me having to have any more cannulas also my treatment is given through the picc line. Hope this helps 

• Thanks.

Yes my last one was whilst I was in hospital too because they needed to give me fluids and pain relief and my arms with black and blue from bruises and failed attempts to get a cannula in.

I didn’t think they’d arrange another one as an outpatient before I’m admitted again though. Some nurses say it must be but others say they would try other options first in the hospital and not put one in before I’m even admitted.

i guess we shall see!

Hope treatment is going well for you.