MRI

• 2 replies
  • 43 subscribers

From your experience, if the gynae-oncologist has requested an urgent MRI, how long do you have to wait for the results?

He’s not expecting it to show anything but I just wondered if the results are likely to be sent to him and me get an appointment again quicker if anything is found? 

They told me at the hospital today that it could take anything between 1 and 4 weeks for the report to be written and shared with the consultant. 

• Hi  

I think honestly it’s very difficult to say. I’ve had several of these and waited varied times for results, between a couple of weeks to 6 weeks, so I’d go by the longest time suggested by your hospital (4 weeks) and hope results may be available quicker. I’m not sure that the the consultant would get the results quicker and call you in if something were found-I had something found on one urgent mri but didn’t get the results any quicker than I was expecting. Different hospitals all have their own variations due to workloads and availability of radiologists to interpret the scans and write the report. 

I hope the results go well for you when you get them.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks for replying Sarah.Thats what I was thinking too! Pray tone1