Waiting for hysteroscopy

• 2 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi,

My GP referred me (54) this week for an urgent hysteroscopy following post menopausal bleeding. In the last few weeks, I have had low level cramps - like a period is about to start all the time. I’ve also felt fatigued for months. My mother had uterine cancer in her 70s and survived but we haven’t been in contact for many years.

I’ve asked for a general anaesthetic because of previous problems cracking through my cervix, so although I’m anxious, I’m getting my head around the procedure. 

My main concern is my children (25F and 22M). My daughter doesn’t live at home but is struggling with life at the moment.. My son does live at home and has just started his career and is loving life. I am single.

I’d like to know when/how people have broached their possible health problems. Do you ride out the tests alone, hoping it’s nothing serious or do you brace the kids for bad news? Feeling a bit lost tbh. 

Thanks

• Hi Tobes

Welcome to the Online Community. I am sorry to hear that you have had some post menopausal bleeding and are having some tests done. 

I wonder if it is worth you posting in the Womb group as there are many ladies on there who will have experienced PMB and had the hysteroscopy and biopsy done. 

(+) Womb cancer forum | Macmillan Online Community

I am sorry to hear that your Mum had uterine cancer and I can understand your worries about your own symptoms.

I hope that your hysteroscopy is done quickly and it that it brings you the answers you need.

It is hard being a Mum and undergoing these tests. In my own situation, I felt it best to mention to my son that I was having some tests and that until the results came back I would not know for sure what was going on. It felt easier to do it like that, in stages than wait for the results and then tell him out of the blue. I think he would have been more upset that way as other members of the family knew I needed tests and were helping with the hospital appointments. I don't think there is ever a right or wrong way to tell people and I did what I felt was right for my family. Your children will naturally be worried and have questions but could actually notice something is wrong even if you do not tell them. For me it was about judging when the time was right to say something. 

I wonder whether it may be an idea to give the Support Line a call tomorrow and to talk things through with someone. The number is below and they may be able to help you best decide how, when and what to say to your children. 

Hope this helps a bit. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Jane. Still mulling it over. The waiting is so hard