Surgery stage 4 Ovarian

• 10 replies
  • 42 subscribers

HI, my first post on here so I will try to be as factually correct as I can.

Was diagnosed with cancer whilst on holiday in Spain last October 2023 and air ambulances back to the UK, it was a horrific experience there and I honestly believed I would not survive the week.  The Drs and staff in the hospital had written me off and I was in a dark and desperate place before returning to the UK.

Once back in the UK they confirmed stage 4 advanced serous Ovarian cancer, sadly before getting unwell in spain with breathing difficulties, pleural effusion, I had no pain or symptoms. It was difficult to process and still is if I am honest.   I underwent 6 rounds of weekly chemo, 2 drugs one week and single ones the other two. Even after the first chemo I felt better.  I was lucky enough to get little side effects for which I am truly grateful.  

My oncologist consultant has been amazing and has been trying to push for surgery but the cancer is in part of my stomach.  I have today been to Portsmouth and seen a Surgeon to discuss what they can do for me apart from maintenance drugs going forward.  I have been advised they will use a camera to ensure they can capture all the cancer in my stomach and if they feel they can get it all will continue straight onto the de bulking surgery along with whatever needs to be done to give me a better chance of life, this may include a stoma which could be temporary or permanent.  I wonder if anyone else has had this and could offer me any words of wisdom?  My heart is saying go with the chance of surgery as if the camera shows they can get it all then I will have a better chance of life (they have warned it will probably come back at some point somewhere else so this isn’t a cure) but it will be more me living with cancer. It would be a lateral surgery. I am not sure if this is the right decision or whether maintenance drugs is the way forward.

I am a fit and healthy 68yr old (just) who has managed to swim every day throughout my chemo, am hoping this will help me.

I thank my lucky stars I get to wake up each morning, just would like to hear from anyone who has been in a similar position. Thank you

• I am I'm same boat as you with diagnosed same in February 2024 had no symptoms until thought had chest infection but that was diagnosed as secondary its in both overies stomach lining liver and lung having paclitaxel weekly them having carboplatin and bevacizumab every 3 weeks the plan is for ne to have six three weekly cycles but dr will ask fir scan on 3rd cycle to see if its working my fingers are crossed very tightly xx

• Hi, it’s devastating I know.  I had carboplatin and  pacilitaxel every 3 weeks then one of them every week.  Had this for 18 wks reduced desease.  I also opted for cold cap so kept my hair but probably lost 20% volume but no bald patches, was lucky with that!!

they thought it was in my liver but turned out to be cysts after having MRI although was on outside.

i hope your treatment goes well, try to stay strong and positive as although difficult, it helps.

• I didn't opt for cold cap have lost my hair which isent a big thing to me been told it's treatable not curable as spread to lung liver and stomach lining but not really been told much more so have alot of unanswered questions that seem to come to mind at bed time 

• Hi, Don’t loose faith, I was told probably no surgery now I’ve got an op planned 10/5.  I’m having camera first to ensure they can get it all and if they can they will go straight in!!

I have it in my stomach link h and on outside of liver which they believe they can just remove, lungs was metastatic but they haven’t even mentioned that so thought chemo did its job there.

i was in the same place as you and know how incredibly difficult it is to manage emotions with so much going on in your head!!

im really happy to chat to you off line and share my journey so far if it helps you, no pressure if not of course, we are all here to help.

Stay strong and positive, it helps Two hearts

• Hi I’m the same stage 4 ovarian cancer. I was diagnosed on 3rd May last year, and same as yourself no symptoms. After the camera and chemo they went ahead and done surgery I had a full hysterectomy and had to have a non reversible stoma in December. I’m now on another drug bevacizumab three weekly. I’m doing great with the stoma I was really worried about living with the stoma but I’ve been fine with it no problems. I hope everything goes ok for you and also I don’t mind speaking offline if that helps x

• Thank you Teresa, so encouraging and just what is needed.  I know my stoma if I get the op, may not be reversible but it’s a small price to pay.  Hope the new drug works wonders for you.  Would be really interested in chatting off line, words of encouragement are needed x

• Stay strong, my mum had stage 4 clear cell ovarian cancer. She is now 10 years all clear. Keep positive Sparkles️  Hope this positive story helps you in some way Kissing heart

• Hi I saw lung consultant today and he was pleased as no fluid on lungs so fingers crossed chemotherapy is working 

• Hi, amazing news, so good to hear do much positivity, thank you Pray 

• Fantastic, I had pleural effusion and one round of chemo worked Two hearts