Post Hysterectomy and BSO

• 7 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I feel a bit of a fraud posting here as I dont know if I have cancer until the histology has been reported.

In late 2023 I had some telltale signs that something wasn't right. My GP picked it up right away and did a CA125 and sent me for ultrasound scans. The blood test was in normal range (phew) but the scan showed a solid vascular cyst. No idea of size or any more detail but I had an urgent referral to a gynaecologist. She said we won't know what it is until "we've got it in a jar" and recommended an urgent hysterectomy and BSO.

Yesterday I went in for the operation. They use robotic surgery as far as possible. I woke up with 4 nicks covered in plasters, fair bit of pain and discomfort. 

I didn't see the gynaecology surgeon before or after and was sent home 7 hours after I arrived. I'm type one diabetic and the nursing staff hadn't a clue how to manage by blood sugars.  

Can anyone offer their experience of what's next? I don't know how the surgery went and simply told I'll get a letter with the lab results. No follow up appointment.

In an immediate sense I dont know when I can shower, remove the dressings no whether I have stitches that need removing. I've no advice about getting up and moving around and building up some time exercise. I've no advice about HRT either.

My plan is to call my GP on Monday but I'm at home fretting so wondered if anyone could share what happened to them?

Much appreciated 

• Hi. That sounds just like my operation. Last December I hadan MRI scan  for a spine problem which showed a large mass on my ovaries. About 20cm. I had no symptoms at all. I had a hysterectomy 35 years ago. To cut a long story fairly short, I was sent to our cancer hospital about 100 miles away from home and I've got to say I received the best of attention. Still have not received the results of the biopsy etc.

I was in HDU for 2 days after a laparotomy, BSO, Omentium (?) removal.  I was in hospital for 7 days altogether. Been home for a week. I had 30 staples removed yesterday and the wound redressed.

As to aftercare, baring in mind it is a major operation I have been told it's ok to shower etc. but I must not lift anything heavier than a kettle, no pushing or pulling a vac and to take it easy for a month. It will take 3 to 4 months to recover completely. I was also given the phone number of a nurse who has been on to me twice this week.

I really do feel for you. I'd say just take it very slowly, rest as much as you can. Keep taking painkillers and speak to your GP on Monday.

I do wish you well, it's two weeks since my op, I'm still sore, still taking a nap in an afternoon and being very careful about what I do around the house.

• Hi, thanks so much for replying. You do sound like you've been through the mill and hopefully the wait to hear your results won't be too much longer. The waiting, for me, has been the worst. Your journey to hospital is incredible. Fortunately mine is only 10 mins by car

I am sore and uncomfortable and have done little but rest since I got home. I did feel thrown out of hospital as quick as they could and although I had a bunch of letters and leaflets there was no advice in any of them about wounds, activity and HRT. Hopefully I can speak to my GP practice tomorrow.

If not there's always Google Stuck out tongue winking eye

I did have a wry smile when told my pregnancy test was negative and there was a leaflet about contraception. I'm 55, postmenopausal and I've just had a total hysterectomy and BSO.... Honestly! 

Take care and best wishes for a positive outcome. 

• Hi everyone, hope you've battened down the hatches for storm Kathleen!

I'm 3 weeks post op. Had a wound infection that antibiotics have taken care of, an allergy to something used in the procedure and suffering with a stinking cold. But, all in all my recovery has been ok. 

Like everyone I suppose I'm just desperate from some news from the lab. I'm in Scotland and called the consultants secretary to see if anything was back. Very apologetically she tells me that there's a big pathology lab backlog due to staffing shortages and the last official update was the wait time was 19 weeks. They were sending work across the country to any lab that had capacity.

Could anyone share how long they waited? I'm hoping that's the worst case scenario or a historical situation. I was banking on about 3 weeks. 

Thank you

• Hello Pinning, I got my results from pathology back within two weeks. My surgery was last July in St Thomas, London. I really hope you don’t have to wait 19 weeks x

• Hi and thanks for replying. Me too. I can only hope it's not too much longer. The wait almost seems worse than the surgery.

Hope you are well

• I am well thanks, I can still remember the worry over waiting for the results and had a cry after I got off the phone after being told nothing suspicious had been found.

Wishing you well x

• I am having ridiculous dreams that all seemed linked to differing outcomes. A call to say all is well is what I hope for too. Thank you