Omentum removal

• 9 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi 

I've been told I need to have my omentum removed as part of surgery to remove an unknown mass on my ovaries. I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago where everything was taken except my ovaries. 

I was just wondering what recovery was like post surgery and how the scar looks...they will be going across in my hysterectomy scar but also 2 inches above my belly button. 

I'm scared ....and worried about what they may find so you really appreciate any advice or thoughts xx 

Thanks in advance

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again and hopefully some of the forum members will pop on to share their experiences with you.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and proposed treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• It's very common for OC patients to have the omentum (complete or partial) removed. It's a layer of tissue which covers the abdominal organs. You won't notice  that it's gone and it's certainly a good idea to be rid of it as it is a common site for recurrence. I say that purely for context, as you have not actually been diagnosed with OC, but your surgeon may be doing this as a sensible precaution. 

My scars are all vertical. From my initial sugery, it was bellybutton to pubes. At more recent surgery, it went all the way (boobs to pubes), with them recutting the original scar. I'm never going to have a smooth tummy again but it doesn't look too bad. The key thing is that you do everything they tell you in recovery (no lifting heavy posts and pans even a full kettle, no carrying shopping, pillow over your middle under a seatbelt, etc, etc).  You've had surgery before so you'll know what I'm talking about. This is all the more crucial after second abdo surgery. 

Surgeons have different techniques and preferences. These are things you can ask about when you go in to do your consent forms and speak to the surgeon or someone from their team. 

As to what they might find - well I totally understand that anxiety - all I can say is that you have to find a way to park that until you're sat in front of them getting your pathology results. No amount of speculation is going to change the content of that discussion. Focus your energy on preparing for the surgery and getting your home set up for coming out. I spent the week leading up to my surgery getting the house clean and tidy, got the shopping in, made meals for the freezer, got my bedroom set up for ease, etc.   

• Thank you so much for sharing this xx 

• I didn’t know they could recut the scar - would have thought that increases scar tissues etc. Hope it didn’t complicate your recovery!

In terms of following recovery instructions - im glad you were given advice, I just had to use common sense and not to any lifting etc. I presume its to prevent adhesions/hernias etc?

• Hernia is a major risk and very common with abdominal surgery. It can happen even if you're careful but being vigilant does reduce the risk. Recutting the original scar does seem to be the way it's done. It didn't seem to complicate recovery, though the scarring is thicker and I now have a lopsided lower tummy due to the way I was stitched up (this is very common from what I've read on other forums). Multiple abdo surgeries is not ideal but is unavoidable for many of us with OC.  I've had three now and while I'd  prefer not have anymore, I would do for life saving or significant quality of life issues.

• I had adhesions from my first abdominal surgery when I was younger - it was horrific! Ended up having my appendix removed at the same time in the end.

My recent surgery (8 weeks ago) for confirmed OC albeit unstaged is my biggest. Surgeon said my abdomen was a mess so I’m expecting some form of complications further down the line sadly - hernia or more adhesions etc!

Lady in the bed opposite me said after her last abdominal surgery, 8 weeks later she was doing sit ups…! I was shocked!Flushed 

• That's just nuts! She was lucky if she got away with it! I would advise caution for a while yet, esp as you've had abdo surgery before. My last op was in Feb 2022 and it took the best part of two years to feel properly recovered. I was getting odd twinges in different  places for months and months.

• Indeed! After my last experience with complications, I’m super careful!! Not risking anything!

how long after do complications normally arise, do you know? I’m planning to be very careful for a long time!

I know - I thought it was very silly and dangerous 

• I don't think there are hard and fast rules on the time frame. It's probably highly individual, dependent on age, previous surgery, general fitness, etc. In my case, I relied a lot on how I felt. Things like carrying shopping bags I eased in gradually after 2 or 3 months. Your body lets you know if it isn't  happy! I used to do a lot of yoga but I noticed that certain positions (eg downward facing dog) felt way too risky. As was getting up off the floor. Those things have come back but it took over a year. In general, I would advise lots of walking. I also did some very gentle pilates style core exercises lying on my back. Definitely no sit ups though!