In newly diagnosed and so scared

• 26 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi all I was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer a few weeks ago with some suspicion on my omentum and two peritoneal nodes I go to see my consultant tomorrow to discuss it thoroughly and treatment I'm terrified they'll say its just palliative care is anyone else in this situation? 

• Really good to hear from you KazWas. 7 hours in surgery is a long time, so pleased to hear it went so well and your treatment is going to plan . It’s completely understandable that you feel low and sore . It’s a massive operation, not to mention the impact of the chemo side effects beforehand. I can relate to looking at friends getting on with their lives and feeling in a completely different place. I got quite tearful the other weekend watching friends having a laugh. I miss my old life and still adjusting to living with cancer. My treatment plan has been slow to start with, if you read my post to nothern lights it explains what happened , reaction to taxol so can’t have that anymore. Carboplatin on its own now so fingers crossed it does enough on its own to get me to surgery, although I admit surgery scares me too . I’ve had a good weekend, managed out for a coffee with my daughter, making the most of the it before chemotherapy on Tuesday. Your posts do give me hope KazWaz , your ahead of me with treatment and your openness about the ups and downs are supportive. Good luck next week with your appointments, will be thinking about you. Sounds like you’re on the homeward stretch now with treatment .dig deep,  you have the strength and resilience to cross this finish line and in times when you are low and sore that’s ok too ,be kind to yourself and carry on. Calm meditation is always there too. Keep in touch.   Xxx

• That must have been worrying reacting to Paclitaxel like that & the worry as to whether Carbo alone will be enough. Sounds like you have been reassured there. I have the two together plus bevacizumab, hence getting every side effect going. 

So pleased you've had a good weekend & I hope the sun made an appearance for you Pray. I suppose it is natural to have ups & downs, but we should remember the lows they are passing moments & not here to stay although easier said than done. Like you I miss my old life, atm my life revolves around cancer as I am sure yours does. I do lots of nice things, its just never off my mind. I got the go ahead to swim in a private pool pre op which was so magical! I miss water so much being a regular swimmer.  Im glad my honesty supports you in some way. You're on your way & you've got this too. Try not to think too far ahead about surgery, take one step at a time. Let me know when you have a date for that & I will help you prepare best you can. On the homeward stretch for me now as you say, just praying I get to remission Pray

Keep going, hugs xxxx

• My word , that’s a lot of chemo, not surprising so many side affect. Yuk ! . So good that in amongst your treatment you managed a swim , I think that’s amazing. Will keep in touch  . Xx

• I was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer in January. I have a tumour in my peritoneal and also nodules on my omentum . I had a biopsy of my omentum which confirmed this. They were unable to operate due to how far it had spread on my omentum , therefore I have had three rounds of chemotherapy which is Paclitaxel and Carboplatin. I’m hoping I can have surgery as my CA125 levels have dropped considerably from 509 when diagnosed to 86. During surgery they will remove what is left of my Fallopian tubes and ovaries , as I had a hysterectomy 23 yrs ago, they will also remove all of my omentum. 

• Hi Karen

So pleased to hear it appears you are ready for surgery. I also had 3 sessions of the same chemo and had surgery 4 weeks ago. 

I too prayed it would go ahead & woke to find all visible cancer had been removed, such a relief. Being stage 4 I am restarting chemo to tackle my lungs & neck where it has spread. 

Keep us posted. And don't forget you can always get a second opinion if ever needed. 

Hope you get a surgery date soon 

Hugs xxx

• Morning 

How are things now?  I have been thinking about you. Just to say, I am now 4 weeks post surgery & about to restart chemo. I am hoping to achieve remission by June Pray

It is certainly possible so keep the faith & never give up

Hugs xxc