Peripheral neuropathy anyone?

• 7 replies
  • 36 subscribers

I finished treatment for non Hodgkin lymphoma and cervical cancer 6 months ago (got the all clear). However, I have developed peripheral neuropathy in my hands. Has anybody else experienced this? Can any advise on ways to alleviate pain?

Linda

• Hi  yes I had bad Peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage) that lasted for a few years post my last treatment…… but as I had 2 Allo (donor) Stem Cell Transplants this was sort of expected.

The only thing that worked fit me was continually working my hands and fingers to get the blood flowing g and the nerves to wake up so I had two stress balls, actually small hands sized rugby balls and I used them most times I was sitting watching the TV.

Unfortunately you may have to push through the pain but more importantly what are your clinical team saying you should do?

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• My consultant said she can give me drugs to ease the pain but I don't want to do go down that path if there is an alternative. I have been exercising my hands and it does help for a while. During the night is worse, my hands seem to stiffen up as well as cause pain.  Are your hands getting better, or does it just get worse?

• My last treatment was Oct 2015 (see the link at the bottom to see my full and long story) so it took to the end of 2017 to say I did not notice the PN…… I am a guitar player so it did not touch my guitar during all this time…… but I am back to normal now and only left with a trigger middle finger but this could be me getting older.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Very sorry to hear this. I have what might be considered triple neuropathy: first from extensive chemotherapy, secondly from Graft-versus-Host-Disease after a stem cell transplant, and thirdly from diabetes caused by high-dose steroids for immune suppression. The neuropathy in my hands has slowly improved, mainly through basic use and exercise of my hands. My feet, not so much and they are indeed painful if I do not take measures to cushion them. At times, we must simply work through the pain, keeping the goal of less pain and better functioning hands ever in mind. To avoid the use of addicting pain killers, one may have to accept a certain level of pain above that which may be controlled by paracetamol or other common drugs. One thing I have found helpful is a sense of gratitude for being given this second lease on life. Not as healthy a lease, mind you, but a wiser, more mature lease.We must be alive to have complaints. 

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• I am indeed grateful for being given this chance to be here a bit longer. 

I have just had a biopsy taken from a  lump on my thyroid..... waiting for results. Apparently I have hi level s of calcium in my blood, so that is also a concern !

• I have ordered two stress balls!

• We are body and spirit. A source of spiritual comfort can be a lifesaver. As well, if anxiety is bothersome, perhaps consider counseling or therapy, at least in the short term. You deserve to be at peace. Our minds and bodies are so ordered as to function best when in a state of peace. I am a prayerful type, so I shall offer prayers for your peace.

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.