Hair regrowth post stage 4 lymphoma

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I successfully achieved remission from my stage 4 lymphoma last October. Since then, I've been keeping my hair short, but recently, in the past month (after 9 months), I decided to let it grow out. However, I've noticed that it's not growing as thick in the crown area. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm not entirely sure if I have bald spots at the crown or if it's just a matter of time, as there are currently thin strands of hair there

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups. 

I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type NHL eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ may be different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well….. especially as I lost my hair three times over my treatments.

After chemotherapy, most people will notice their hair growing back within 3 to 6 months of finishing chemotherapy, although it can take more or less time…….. but some people, like myself experience significant permanent thinning of their hair.

I had a great head of thick silver hair but with the strength of the treatments I had 750hrs of R-EPICH, 45 radiotherapy and 2 Stem Cell Transplants my hair has paid the toll of the journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I have been in remission and out of lymphoma treatment since July 2015. I just today brushed tangles out of the thin, baby-like hair on the top of my head, toward the front. Sometimes our hair comes back, sometimes it does not. And sometimes it comes back differently, such as curly instead of straight. Give it time and either it will improve or you will adapt to it. I consider it to be the "cost of living."

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.