R CHOP CHEMO

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 20 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone,   I have Hodgkins Lymphoma  not NHL. but they have decided to treat me with R CHOP chemotherapy instead of ABVD as I'm at stage 4 ( they found it in 3 different places which included below the diaphragm).   I'm just wondering has anyone had this treatment? What is the success rate??

• Thought it would be but good you know for sure

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to johnr

Hi all,

My partner has been diagnosed with NHL on Friday, he started treatment the very next day. He is only 27 so it's been a bit of a shock for us. He is having r-chop chemo and we are about to have the R-part of the treatment today.

So far he has been feeling quite nauseas and tired, and very "not himself". He is very quiet and his face is very flushed. 

He is worried that it is going to be like this for the rest of the treatment. 

I am hoping to hear of anybody else's experiences with this treatment so perhaps know what to expect? I know that everyone is different however. 

• FormerMember

Hi john I'm starting my treatment tomorow and reading you're advice is a great comfort as it's quite a journey into the unknown 

• Melons pleased the advice is helping and questions just ask,

Jools, what type of NHL does your partner ? have they said why the rchop has been given over 2 days and was this a one off with it being the first?

The drugs especially the rituximab can effect people and some feel sickly straight away, for me the first was a doddle apart from reacting to rituximab and is he quiet because its all hitting him now, it is a big step in the dark, but once done he will learn whilst its not nice it is do-able.

Make sure he drinks plenty same for you Melons and keep doing so after treatment, keep diaries so that you can tell the consultant how it has been and if either of you need extra meds or something changing they know and can do that.

If your partner continues to feel sick ask for appretant. it works a treat.

any questions just ask

john

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • FormerMember

Can you also mention to patients havin steroids they can ask for the sugar coated ones,they only do them in 5 mgs our hospital doesn’t do them but our doctor has put them on repeat for Gary every 21 day,he has to hav 100mgs which is 20 tablets they tiny though,but this helps Gary so much no matalic taste and he eats well I’m sure it’s the steroids giving patients the horrible taste the sugar coated ones don’t do this,I remembered because I hav been on them too at some stage x

• FormerMember

Great advice. as always! I prepared a spreadsheet with the regime of .medications ie 5 days of steroids, allopurinol for gout, I had an antibiotic regime and the anti sickness, it also had how much fluid, a diet box, daily temperature, sleep, bowel movement (lol), headache, score of how I was feeling ,(out of 10!) And some other stuff. Sounds OTT but I needed control......partners could perhaps formulate something like this. It does help as things are forgotten.....

I never (+touch wood) scored less than 5.....I was expecting 1s and 2s!

I found taking the steroids with those fruit pot yoghurts was good....pharmacy preferred to supply cheap ones....I had 17 a day for 5 days

Sleep was near impossible on this dose ( based on persons weight)....use insight timer app or read lots (steroids can blur vision) or watch really bad nighttime TV...or knit..

Watch out for the low mood on days 6,7 & 8....have tissues and lots of chocolate. ready!

Watch for the runny nose towards the end of treatment

A. Comfy hat can be like a security blanket, never could get my wig to stay put....and it was itchy! Annabandanna.com...i don't get commission:)

Prune juice is as beneficial as the prunes....eat em before you need them.

Time actually does pass quite quickly once you're in the system....

All the best to everyone going through it, and their partners as its often worse for them

Regards, Lynda xx.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Sorry, just realized the dates of this thread!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

That’s great advice thank you Lynda xx Gary was on 100mgs of steroids so the chemist ones he had to take 20 little 5 mg ones he found easy to take them no loss of appetite ate well,felt sick and shitty with chemo but that was it and he went bk to drinking tea and drinking chocolate which drinking chocolate new for him specially the costas one he’s so bad lmao all my love Margaret (carer for hubby) xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My husband has just had his 6th and last R-Chop,he’s been really good,the steroids they give you are the chalky ones,I got our doctor to prescribe the sugar coated ones in strad of getting them off hospital,but you have to make sure u order them on Time coz you have to take them the 1st 5 days after chemo x

• This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.