Questions

• 2 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Good afternoon to everyone.

Got my PET Scan report, seems there is another 28mm mass somewhere else which wasn’t picked up in the November 2023 scan. Of course no biopsy has been done on this one. Does seem to be stable though. The main mass seems to have responded well to radiotherapy at least. Deauville Grade 4 - whatever that is?

Quote from the report  : There is a similar smaller 28mm mass anteriorly at the right cardiophrenic angle which is moderately avid for FDG, SUV max 5.4 This was also present with hindsight on a previous PET scan CT of 09/11/23, although slightly less avid at that time SUV max 4.0. It has however remained stable in size over this period and therefore its exact nature is uncertain. Nevertheless it should be monitored on any follow up CT scan. End Quote.

Then goes on to talk about Deauville Grade 4 uptake to residual lung consolidation in the area.

Can’t get hold of my GP and telephone appointment with oncologist not for another ten days. Left a message with the CNS in Haematology but last time I  allied them I was made to feel like Typhoid Mary…

Was never told about this smaller mass in December 2023 and it’s not mentioned in the report either.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated as a little concerned as only carer for my wife who suffers from Alzheimers 

• Hi again sorry to hear about your concerns.

I obviously can’t give you any competent comment on the actual report text as I am not in any way qualified to do so and your team will be the best people to talk this though with so let’s look for you to get answers soon.

But based own my experience. I finished my main treatment (my second Allo donor Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) in mid Nov 2015 but I had a scan in early Oct to check me for any lymphoma activity, this was very carefully checked and nothing was found.

I then had a second scan at the end of Dec 2015 and a 22mm lump/mass showed up at the top of my right lung……. both my Oct and Dec scans were carefully checked and the mass was definitely not there back in Oct…… the mass was a checked out and not found to be Lymphoma….. 8 years and 7 months on the lump is still there and has no changed, is now no longer being checked and is not a problem.

As for the Deauville…..

The Deauville five-point scale (Deauville 5PS) is an internationally-recommended scale for routine clinical reporting and clinical trials using FDG PET-CT in the initial staging and assessment of treatment response in Hodgkin lymphoma (HL) and certain types of non-Hodgkin lymphomas (NHL).

The Deauville 5-point scoring system is an internationally accepted and utilised five-point scoring system for the fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) avidity of a Hodgkin lymphoma or Non-Hodgkin lymphoma tumor mass as seen on FDG positron emission tomography

Score 1: No uptake above the background

Score 2: Uptake ≤ mediastinum

Score 3: Uptake > mediastinum but ≤ liver

Score 4: Uptake moderately increased compared to the liver at any site

Score 5: Uptake markedly increased compared to the liver at any site

Score X: New areas of uptake unlikely to be related to lymphoma

Deauville Scores of 1 and 2 are considered to be negative and 4 and 5 are considered to be positive. "Score 3 should be interpreted according to the clinical context but in many Hodgkin Lymphoma patients indicates a good prognosis with standard treatment.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you TheHighlander. 

There can be only one………