Sharing information

• 2 replies
  • 16 subscribers

I am a mum to my 33 year old daughter, diagnosed with PMBCL, a year ago.

I have shared information about this with friends and occasionally acquaintances as a way of coping. She has just told me she doesn’t want me to share her personal medical information with anyone. Whatever I say and do is never right. 
This is definitely my way of coping. If I don’t tell anyone, I would go bonkers. I think I just need to remind myself not to tell her that I’ve shared with others. 
Anyone got any tips? 
Pauline

• This is a fine line as if you share info about her circumstances and she gets to know it does erode trust…. and this can be hard to rebuild.

You may want to check out the Lymphoma Action.. Lymphoma Action run regular Support Platforms with a few monthly groups specifically for family and friends..... I highly recommend these groups as there is nothing better than talking with other who have walked the journey.

They also have a great Lymphoma Action Buddy Service where you can be linked up with someone who has walked the same suppprt journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• There may be several methods of coping. Since she is a private person, then out of love and respect for her, another method of coping is needed. Therapists are a common source for information related to coping mechanisms. The energy you have may be spent positively or negatively. This energy will find an outlet. If one door is closed then another will open. There is a mechanism which will help both you and others. It is an unsettling time until you arrive at that mechanism, but perseverance is key. Personal beliefs, worldview, cultural or familial practices all can assist in finding internal peace. Indeed, your daughter may also change her thoughts - but best not to count on that. Life has been turned upside down, yet the blessing in all of this is that we are adaptable creatures. We will find a way through this. From the States, praying for the best outcome for both of you! 

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.