Impact of delay in scan reports.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 12 subscribers

After chemo, I'm on a wait and watch regime - with 3 monthly CT scans to detect any further development (which is inevitable at some point).  Unfortunately there is a huge backlog at my hospital so I've waited in vain so far for 5 weeks, for the report of my last scan in May.  I've been told that it may not be done until after my next scan is due.  

I'm finding this limbo really hard.  It means that if the disease is developing and I need to return to chemo, I won't know.  Conversely, if things are still ok, I can't enjoy the peace of mind of knowing that.  Every little twinge or irregularity could be nothing .... or it could be sinister.  These sensations etc are increasing in variety and number:  is this my anxiety or are they signs and symptoms?  I don't know.

Living with an incurable cancer is hard enough but this is spoiling the "good" time.  I'm likely in the best period I will have left to me and I am trying to make the very best of things and keep as active as I can doing normal things I like to do. But it's a daily concern and bubbles below the surface all the time.  I can state to others in a factual way what my situation is but can't load the full emotional impact of it onto anyone else. 

I can't be the only one affected by these delays (which will affect the timing of diagnoses and treatments for many, I'm sure).  If you're experiencing this, how do you feel? Any thoughts anyone?

• Hi

Having to wait so long for the results of scans must be incredibly worrying. I don't have scans but do have 3 monthly check-ups for my melanoma diagnosis so do have a measure of how stressful waiting can be.

I wondered if you'd thought about joining the living with incurable cancer group as I'm sure you'll find lots of people there who will know the stress of waiting for results. If this is something that you'd like to do clicking on the link I've created will take you there.

Sending (((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you, Latchbrook, that's kind and thoughtful.  I will use the link.  

Best wishes to you for your condition,