My husband has multiple myeloma

• 4 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi I have been following this forum for a year now my husband got diagnosed nearly a year ago on the 17th October 2023 he was only 44. This was so unexpected as he has never been ill. It all started when we had been to Tenerife on holiday in Sept and was feeling extremely fatigued when he returned back to work. He was sent home with high blood pressure so we contacted the GP they did blood tests and he rang the next night at 10pm and said his kidney function was very low to go to A and E as they were expecting us.

After 6 days of tests and a bone marrow biopsy. We got the diagnosis of bone marrow cancer. Chemo started the next day which was amazing Stepping Hill in stockport have been great. Chemo went ok then the kidneys still were failing. He was hospitised for the whole of November as he has fluid retention and they were investigating what to do. Then he was moved to the MRI for the kidneys for another 2 weeks with follow up appointments every week inbetween Chemo.

In January the kidneys were so bad that dialysis was the only option so an emergency pic line was put in as kidneys were only functioning at 5%. Then dialysis started 3 times a week and chemo. In Apr they suggested Stem cell transplant, everything was going to plan then the heart scan showed fluid around it so another week in hospital and they removed the fluid. So transplant was put on hold. In June he completed the last 2 cycles of chemo.

In Sept approved for stem cell transplant, he is currently in MRI 16 days post transplant. Things have gone well although still can't get his temp down so more antibiotics  

Sorry such a long post but I've been reading a lot of your posts and haven't come across anyone with MM and kidney failure I'm trying to be positive but feel my husband thinks the odds are against him.

Thanks for listening Nicola  

• You mention that you have not come across anyone with MM and kidney failure.

The charity Myeloma UK also runs a forum. There have been a couple of posts there relating to kidney failure.

For example:

forum.myeloma.org.uk/.../

• Thank you for your advice I will have a look now. It's just been very difficult as we are both 44 and didn't expect this to happen. I don't suppose anyone does its turned our world upside down. He hasn't been able to work for over a year or do anything really hopefully things will get better 

• I know that it is none of my business, but being unable to work for a year can have serious financial implications.

The Macmillan helpline is on 0808 808 00 00. 8am to 8pm. It's free to call from landlines and mobiles within the UK.

They could give advice (if you haven't called them already) on benefits, grants etc.

• I did phone the helpline but not about financial help I was asking for help as I'm struggling to deal with it all. I'm very emotional and try to stay positive and strong. It's difficult to watch your spouse suffer. I also have rhematoid  arthritis so became part time due to pain. It's helped me be able to care for him. This forum has definitely helped me a lot