Stem cell treatment

• 13 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi all ,

I have tried to use this before without much success.Hopefully I am doing it right this time.I was diagnosed with mm last Sept.I have since undergone chemo and have had stem cell harvest about 5 weeks ago.I recieved a letter on Friday to have a picc line inserted on 3 June.Does this mean I will be going in for transplant shortly after.I must admit I feel confused and scared, however I know it has to be done.Has anyone else gone through this.regards , Mal

• Hi Mal, yes I had SS transplant last September and I had my picc line about 5 days before I went in.  The process is painless so don't worry.  The transplant is painless too. Its hard going for about 3 weeks I will be honest tho but it's a means to an end and every day you get stronger.   I'm in remission now and feel great so don't worry.  We are always here for you.  Strength in numbers!  It is quite daunting but please don't be scared.  The hospital staff are amazing, and they know what they are doing.  You will get thru it!!  Take care.  

• Hi  Mal,     glad you reached out again,  a few of us  have been through this,         honest   great news you have had the Stem cell harvest!!       PICC  line,  i was a bit daunted,  but to be honest,  i was in  hospital  and had the PICC line the day before the Stem cell transplant,   the team that did it,  in my hospital bed were to be honest  Awesome,   so   informative,     professional   it was like a mini operation,  one did the  hand over prep   one did the procedure,    then     taped me up,    i  also was taken down to have an x ray, to make sure 100%  the line is where it should be,   and it was,  the PICC LINE  was used for the SCT  and for   all   medications  post SCT     which   were numerous   has i did catch a   stomach bug and had to have   antibiotics and     platelets    transfusions in the PICC line,  it also makes it so much easier for the  blood test nurses in the morning to catch some blood,  so   worth it for the  ease of  the shear amount of things  you  will/may need,   may i add,  100%   painless  also,   i did look at the viewing monitor    mainly for the  team, and the one at the foot of the bed,  says   "  Look at me Kevin"         please do be scared of the process Mal  all for your benefit  and  trust me,  i am now 100 +  days  post stem cell and feel bloody great !   compared to what i was like  9 months ago,      i finish my   last cycle next week  and then some bone support work to come,     i am walking   very well,  driving,     wash the car,  cut the grass   all at a slighty slower pace,     walk the dog  ( thats new )       i know its a long message my friend,  but  we are all here for you,  and  it is worth the effort,   please visit the SCT    page at macmillan also,      Best wishes  Kevin   AKA  Vespa  

• Hi , Kevin , thanks for the info and support , it really helps ,I will keep in touch if thats okay,regards ,Mal

• Hi Mel  and a warm welcome to this little corner of the Community…… I have a totally different type of blood cancer but I have been through 2 Allo (donor) Stem Cell Transplants.

You will get some great support from the amazing members in this group but it would also be worth checking out our dedicated Stem Cell Transplant support group where folks from different blood cancers support each other in the SCT rollercoaster.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi and thanks for the support , it really helps,regards , Mal

• Hi Mal , Cakie here (Sue) I am 68 have MM and had a SCT April 2023. I'm in remission now which is great ! 

I really can understand how you feel .It is a frightening and confusing time .Life turns upside down and sometimes I felt my life was out of control .Its not a nice feeling .

I can tell you that the insertion of the PIC line is not painful .Put in under local anaesthetic. The staff that do this talked me through every stage .You will see the benefit of it when you have the SCT.

Can you talk to one of your team next week ? They will most likely be able to tell you the anticipated date of admission for SCT .

SCT is not a walk in the park but it gets the job done! Main thing for me was to keep talking to the staff and let them know how you are feeling .They are so good at solving problems no matter how small . Good luck and keep in touch .Sue 

Cakie

• Hi Sue , thankyou ,I know nobody can do anything about it , but its playing on my mind 3% don't make it.regards ,Mal

• Hi Mal , sending you hugs and positive thoghts please remember this group is very supportive .

Keep talking , Macmillan and Maggies offer excellent confidentiality support as well as your team at the hospital .Reach out to them no problem is to small xx Sue 

Cakie

• Hi. I had the Hickman line inserted the day before they harvested my cells in April. It's a bit of a nuisance when showering but it has lots of benefits with taking blood. Harvesting cells etc. I am scheduled for the SCT ray July no specific date given, but as I keep saying I'm in the Spanish health system so I leave the staff to do what they are very professional about. I am sometimes left in the dark a bit but have become used with that.

They have earned my trust and I just let them get on with it.  I don't know why I have the Hickman line. Maybe it's a national thing, but on 2 occasions I have visited the local health centre with possible infection of the entry area. This has been dealt with on both occasions without fuss and with 100% results.

Good luck, don't worry. Think positive and start planning your remission time