• 15 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi my name is Doug and I was diagnosed back in 2021 with blood cancer 

im new to the group and hope to get some inspiration on how to cope with the diagnosis 

I am in remission now but the waiting between blood test takes it toll.

• Thankyou for the reply, i am not tec savvy but i will try and get involved,I am feeling low right now

• You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  Betterdays,     i think your name tag  is perfect,  as we have all  seen better days !   i am Kevin,  and like you have MM,  i am now 55 days post Stem cell transplant,   and like you i had the Stem cell Harvest,   it is easy to say,  nothing to be worried about,  when clearly you are!    i can   help you understand what it was for me,  !  after the Harvest  i was waiting for bed space for my transplant,   and knocked back  5 times,  which was hard when you are mentally prepared,     but once in the staff were brilliant,  i had the PICC line  installed the day before the   transplant,   and this was so professional,  and not pain at all,      the conditioning treatment came next,  the Chemo,   over  in about  30 minutes and lots of chipped ice to  chew on,    the next  day was the transplant,  and  again,  it was just bags on my own Stem cells,  fed back into me,  and then monitor the bloods  over a few days,   ( i was transfer back to my local hospital)  to make it easier for my  wife to support me  with  clothes,   food items,   iced drinks,     my appetite post transplant was poor as i caught  a stomach bug,  and was on Antibiotic IV,   i stayed in hospital for  10 days,    these were not easy days or nights, but the staff      help you,    please research what to take with you to hospital,  i found  fresh fruits, pre prepared  easy to eat,    milk  shakes,   protein  shakes,  some boiled sweets,     a bar of chocolate,   anything  you like to eat take with you,    my ward had a fridge for patients  products,  just marked with my name,  cold drinks in particular,  i found  rice krispes and   sliced banana   so easy to eat for   breakfast,      i am no home and recovering and walking       slowly,      i am  not in a position to help with your family matters,  but  your own health  is the  most important thing   right now,  you need the support        best wishes   Kevin 

• Thankyou so much Kevin , I hope you are well.It means an awful lot to me at this moment in time.My wife is embroiled with my son ,so I feel particularly isolated at this time.Ha , I have just realized what I have said , I am going to be isolated soon through no choice of my own.I know you shouldnt google and I dont much , but it is frightening.I have had to give up work and I have worked all of my life,so that is hard to deal with.Thanks for replying and obviously caring,

Kindest regards , Mal

• Hi, an excellent reply I was also diagnosed in December 2023. The difference with me is that I am in Tenerife and being treated brilliantly by the team at the main hospital in Santa Cruz. I had my cells harvested last week a day after the Hickman catheter was fitted and provided enough cells on the one sitting.

My biggest problem but maybe not as big as that sounded is the language barrier, but the nurses and consultants have been excellent some speak English most don't but they are so patient.

My goal is to visit Australia July 2025 to follow the British Lions have already paid the deposit. But finding it difficult to get any travel insurance which will cover me.

I have been told to stay positive which I do. I lost my wife 18months ago after 37yrs together living the last 17yrs in Tenerife. But I have a great bunch of ex pats around me and each week go to an apartment for my Sunday lunch with others bring soups and stews to my door,  one has been driving me the round trip of 150kms once or twice per week since December, so that's how I stay positive I'm not allowed anything else.

The nearest I got to negativity was walking along the prom one day there were 100s of holiday makers and I just thought "why me" but then I moved on.

My biggest advice is stay positive and listen to how positive the people around you are

Good luck in the future