Diet

• 7 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi I'm new here & just wondering if anyone changed their eating habits after diagnosis?

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and hear about your diagnosis.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. I don’t have Myeloma but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a very rare (also incurable) but treatable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (Stage 4 in late 2013) so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is rather different I do appreciate the challenges of living with an incurable blood cancer.

There are a few active members at the moment so let’s look for them to pick up on your post.

I made no real changed to my diet over my 24 years journey but I was more aware of following a healthy balanced diet…… as a family we did not eat fast (junk) foods….. it’s all about eating healthy.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

For good information do check out Myeloma UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 0800 980 3332

You may also want to check to see if you have a Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and most centres do run monthly Heamatology Support Groups, the one I attend does have a few folks with Myeloma in it so worth checking.

Always around to help more or just to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for your recommendations  - I'll keep a lookout for any further feedback - Slight smile

• Hiya, on one of my earlier visits with the doctor, they asked what I knew already about the condition, and one thing was diet.  There is no recommended diet for myeloma, so I just go with eating reasonably healthy, but don't fret out if I crave a takeaway or something sweet.  The good thing is to keep your fluids up though (which I am awful at doing but try!) and I have seen articles in the past stating red coloured foods can be good if you have cancer, though not sure if that is true, I do give that a go. I have also upped my protein and oily fish, can't hurt to try!  The only thing I have taken out of my diet is the stuff they don't want you to have on chemo, so things like pate, certain yoghurts, etc. But I think in remission, pretty much anything goes.

• Hi GroguLove thanks for the feedback it all helps - I've always been food conscious (probably more like obsessed Joy) but with myeloma being incurable at the moment I think I'm searching for solutions - currently I eat everything & anything I want but after transplant I know that will have to change - Avocado

• Post SCT…… you have to be very carful food wise as a small food bug that a ‘normal’ immune system will kill off no problem a post SCT this can be dangerous 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi.   I am about 50 days post. SCT.  So very careful about what I eat      Obviously avoiding  pate.   Prawns   Even yoghurts still.  I drink a lot of cordial based drinks.      All salad items well washed.    I avoid takeout and even ready meals.     Kevin 

• Congrats Vespa 50days to go & freedom (from my perspective) Raised hand Thanks for your feedback.Sun with face