Hello - I need help with husbands diagnosis of long chain myeloma - mind blowing shock as no symptoms

• 3 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Chemo cycle 2 and life has totally fallen apart with so much more to come before stem cell  - we have have to close our business and I’m struggling big time to deal with this on top of parents with dementia and end of life care Disappointed mood swings and anxiety on top of his side effects are huge  DisappointedDisappointed

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and hear about your husbands diagnosis and the challenges you are all facing.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. I don’t have Myeloma but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a very rare (also incurable) but treatable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (Stage 4 in late 2013) so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is rather different I do appreciate the challenges of living with an incurable blood cancer......... more so as I have had 2 Allo (donour) Stem Cell Transplants (SCT)........ but I do see that you have already joined our dedicated Stem Cell Transplant support group...... this will be a good place to get support once he goes into the SCT process.

There are a few active members at the moment so let’s look for them to pick up on your post. Do click on the main ‘Myeloma Group’ title and this will bring up all the group posts. Have a look at the posts and as always you can hit reply to any post and connect in with the wider group conversations.

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your husband but more so yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our general Carers only support group where you will connect with others navigating the exact same support challenges both for your husband but also for the wider family.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For good information do check out Myeloma UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme, they also have a Support Line on 0800 980 3332

Always around to help more or just to chat ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi    Deb 69    So much there,  that  you need to seperte  the     business from the health       i `m in hospital l  right now      post stem celll op  8 day,     so   still       lots of struggles,     i put my business on Hold,    for 6  months,       your   husband is still in early stages of   DVTB      treatment,             the   obv things are family an friend,  to help        reach out,      for  som help from them ???        Kevin

• Hi Deb69, so sorry to read your post but you have land in the right place here x All the suggestions and links Mike have given you are all so useful. I think of the last 9months I have used them all .We are all different and respond to treatment as individuals .I have Multiple Myeloma and had 4m nths of Dara VTD followed by a Stem Cell Transplant April 23 . The information given at diagnosis is overwhelming. I was only able to deal with it one stage at a time. My Myeloma Nurse supported me at every step .Ask for support , I know from experience it will help you and your husband if it helps on reflection I have no regrets and am now in remission .I wish you both well .Sue xx 

Cakie