Newly diagnosed

• 1 reply
  • 47 subscribers

I was diagnosed Monday with MGUS by my GP and I’m awaiting a referral to the haematologist. 

I was diagnosed after repeat bloods after they came back with low platelets. Having reviewed all my tests over the last 5 years they have been dropping steadily. I’m surprised no-one mentioned anything sooner. I have lots of symptoms and will be asking the haematologist if any are symptoms of the condition or unrelated which will be tricky as I’m sure many overlap!

Slightly terrified of the whole situation being 37 and running two companies with my wife. Also we have a 5 year old little girl and we have been trying for another. We are also due to start a self build next year just to add a bit more stress into the situation! 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and hear about your MUGS diagnosis.

I am Mike and I help out by keeping an eye on our various Blood Cancer groups. I don’t have Myeloma but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a very rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (Stage 4 in late 2013) so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is rather different I do appreciate the challenges of living with an incurable blood cancer.

I do understand your concerns about what the future looks like, I was the same back in 1999 but on the whole blood cancer are very treatable when with positive outcomes.

There are a few active members at the moment so let’s look for them to pick up on your post.

Do click on the main ‘Myeloma Group’ title and this will bring up all the group posts. Have a look at the posts and as always you can hit reply to any post and connect in with the wider group conversations.

You can do a ward/subject search by using the search tool Mag near the top - pout in MUGS and see what comes up.

Always around to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge