Myeloma

• 3 replies
  • 47 subscribers

I have just been told that I have smoldering multiple myeloma. I have been told I will be monitored monitored by regular blood test and would not be receiving treatment for between six to twelve months depending upon how the cancer progresses. I though that is import that cancer be treated as early as possible. The cancer was found following blood tests for stage three chronic kidney disease. I was referred to a haematologist and following right months of regular blood tests I had a skeletal scan and a bone marrow biopsy, which indicated that I did have early stage myeloma. Having waited anxiously for eight months, the thought of having to wait possibly a year before treatment is concerning.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and hear about diagnosis.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. I don’t have Myeloma but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a very rare (also incurable) but treatable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (Stage 4 in late 2013) so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is rather different I do appreciate the challenges of living with an incurable blood cancer.

When it comes to blood cancers not having treatment immediately and being monitored happens a lot. I did not have any full on treatment (Chemo, Radiotherapy and Stem Cell Transplant) until I reached 14 years post my diagnosis as my condition had not develop sufficiently to make the treatment effective.

There are a few active members at the moment so let’s look for them to pick up on your post. Do click on the main ‘Myeloma Group’ title and this will bring up all the group posts. Have a look at the posts and as always you can hit reply to any post and connect in with the wider group conversations.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Phil. D.   Kevin here.  I am a MM patient diagnosed in June.  But guess I had been carrying it for a while.      I am on cycle 4 of the 6 cycle treatment plan of DVTB  with Stem cell transplant lThumbsuped up for early 2024.  I guess the. Concern is it getting worse. Of course. The blood test and biopsy will guide the health care team to when the treatment should start.     Do you suffer any side eThumbsupects right now.  ?   I was walking with a left hip limp for about 18 months and putting it down to work related      Like you blood tests fir something else picked up my MM. and then fast tracked toThumbsuptart so my. Calcium readings were high with hip lesions on my bones.   So catching it early is a good thing Thumbsup        Nothing wrong with asking “ when will the treatment start ?”       The   DVTB. cycles help bring the MM into remission.    I have blood tests every Monday.    Treatment Tuesday and Friday. Some are very quick injections.         Only one is A. IV    Not all chemotherapy.    I feel very positive about the care the plan and indeed the support of Macmillan information that you can download or. Have sent to home.     Please keep in contact with the group and we all wish you well for your future treatments.  Kevin 

• Thanks Vespa,

I was told my diagnosis by a.telephone appointment. I have never had a face to face appointment with the consultant. I have stage 3 chronic kidney disease and the high Kappa free light chains and high kappa/lamda ratio was found by my kidney consultant and he referred me to a heamatologist, who after three blood tests spanning 8 months arranged for me to have a skeletal scan and bone marrow biopsy. I bon’t know if my kidney condition was taken into consideration when I was diagnosed with smoldering MM. My next blood test is in three months. I still don't have a face to face appointment. I am very concerned.

Phil