Harvesting stem cells

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi, I am new to the group, my husband has been fighting for 5+ years, originally diagnosed with melanoma has since been diagnosed with 

myeloma after several rounds of chemo he has last week been to harvest his stem cells in preparation.   My first question is he has come back really really tired, is this normal also they have told us they  have not  got enough cells, they like to take 8million but have only got 6  …..  it was a Friday afternoon and been told thehealth team will let you know …. Has anybody else had this? What was the outcome.

the hospital and staff have been great, but all this uncertainty is so tiring .

Tina x

• Yes, it happens to majority of patients 

• Hi and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and hear about the your husbands diagnosis.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. I don’t have Myeloma but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (Stage 4) so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well and more so as I have had 2 Allo (donor) Stem Cell Transplants (SCT)

I could not be put into remission for my cells to be harvested so had to have a donor SCT so my brother was a match so he went through the harvest…… he is a very healthy person with no health issues and he was very tired after the two day harvest.

As for the number of stem cells…… my brother was the same, they had target but did not reach it but it made no difference in the end as there was plenty.

If his team think there is not enough they will just aim to harvest some more.

Stem Cell Transplant is a mystery at times but talking with others who have been through it can help so can I recommend you join and introduce yourself on our dedicated Stem cell transplant support group as you will meet both people who have been through SCT and family who supported folks through their SCTs.

I will keep my open for you in the SCT group.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Tina

my husband went through 3 days of harvesting in Nov. They said they didn’t get enough either, but I think they like to harvest enough for 2 transplants and then store them.  He was called for his chemo and transplant 2 weeks later.  He got the chemo on the first day ans stem cells the next 2 days after receiving the stem cells he was home in 16 days and has progressed greatly since.  Thankfully he had very little sickness just tiredness and only needed a blood transfusion 10 days after he got home which helped him greatly. He will be home now 4 weeks on Sunday and is feeling great and now only has to get his bloods checked once every 2 weeks and sees the consultant once every 4 weeks.  He is feeling great although he still has to be very careful with mixing with people.  

I really hope this reassures you

Fuz1X