My dad has just been diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma

• 3 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi, my dad had just been diagnosed with lung cancer pleural mesothelioma. He has been given a permanent chest drain to hep with the breathlessness. He has been offered proton beam therapy. Has anyone experience this treatment. Would just like to hear how this went and if it has helped. 

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community but sorry to hear about your dad.

I don't have Mesothelioma but have lived with Asbestosis for a number of years, fortunately it remains stable but my main 23 year fight is with an incurable type of blood cancer Stage 4a

So let’s look for the group members to pick up on your post. There are a number of active group members at the moment so why not click on the main ‘Mesothelioma Group’ title and this will bring up all the group posts. Have a look at the posts and as always you can hit reply to any post and connect in with the wider group conversations.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot but during these strange times it’s not that available but do check to see if any Local Macmillan Support in your area has opened up. Do also check out for a local Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. You may also find our Ask an Expert section helpful but do allow a few working days for a reply.

You may also want to check out www.mesothelioma.uk.com for some good information and have various support platforms.

Always around if you need further help or just want to talk.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Lorrainer,sorry to hear about your Dad must have been an awful shock for all of you,my husband was diagnosed in October 22 he had a drain in for a few weeks then was offered immunotherapy which unfortunately was not successful, he has been on pain relief medication since and had one treatment of radiotherapy a few weeks back so we are still waiting to see if it’s helpped.Sorry I can’t help you with any info on Proton treatment but hopefully it will help your Dad.

• I have mesothelioma and I have also been offered this treatment, my cancer is stable at the moment so I’m receiving no treatment at all, but when the cancer comes back I will probably take it as I’ve heard it’s very good.