New to this site

• 8 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with mesothelioma in December 22 and what a shock that was, but no doubt you’ll know all about that.

I had surgery in February 23 and since then having three monthly  scans, the first two showed clear but the third showed a very small nodules had returned, I’m being treated by a professor Fennell and he’s not too worried at the moment, I have a fourth scan booked in a couple of weeks and he is going to see the results of that before he makes a decision on how he will proceed with treatment.

I must admit that I’m a little nervous about treatment and how it will affect me, it’s the not knowing that the problem.

I have been told that a lot of people feel a lot better once they start treatment, I hope that will be the case with me.

I would love to hear from anyone who has gone through this experience and compare my feelings with them. Just to talk to someone with the same problem would be great.

I don’t know if my name will come up on this as it’s the first time I’ve used it but I’m known as Malpas.

• Hi Malpas - my husband was diagnosed in June 2023, even though he was told it had been found early he wasn’t offered surgery.  He had 10 rounds of Radiotherapy which really helped with his pain (which was the only symptom he had) & then started Immunotherapy - he has had 7 rounds  - he had a bit of a blip after his last double dose on 28 December & ended up in hospital for 8 days from 20 January. He had been fine up until this point & scan had shown some shrinkage.  He is starting his treatment again on Thursday single dose initially to see how it goes.  He gets his treatment at the Cecelia Centre at Wythenshawe Hospital.

Hope things go ok for you - from what I have read Professor Fennell is one of the best in the country for Mesothelioma.

• Hi Malpas sorry to hear about your diagnosis,my husband was diagnosed October 22. He had 2 immunotherapy treatments in the December but scan in January showed the tumour was still growing so they stopped treatment and offered him chemo which he refused. His last scan a few weeks ago showed not much difference and he had a shot of radiotherapy on Tuesday on the site where he had vats procedure in October 22, they are hoping this will help him. At the moment he is doing ok. Pain meds are working great. Hope you get on well with your treatment.Diagnosis was a complete shock to us also my husband was an electrician so they know how he contracted it .

• Hello Wardyboy, very kind of you to take the trouble to reply, there seems to be quite a number of ways to treat this, all those treatments have been mentioned to me plus some new ones, all I’m told are available to me when they know exactly how the nodules are growing (if at all) going to have a scan in a couple of weeks but it’ll be another week before I get to see Professor Fennell.

I must admit the waiting is torture but I’ve found the care amazing, no complaints about that at all.

Did your husband get any side effects from the immunotherapy and Radiotherapy because that’s what worries me the most, pain I can cope with but feeling sick and drained of energy is something I have difficulty dealing with.

Do you know how your husband contracted the disease.

I picked mine up 60 years ago working with electrical fuse boards with had asbestos in.

wish you both the very best for the future.

I’ll keep in touch if you don’t mind 

• Hi Bey, thanks so much for your reply, sorry to hear about your husband, I hope he gets on well with his treatment.

I have a scan appointment in a couple of weeks, then I’ve got an appointment to see Professor Fennell which I believe is to decide on which treatment would be the most beneficial to me, he has told me what’s available to me and we’ll both make a decision then.

You say you’re husband was an electrician which is where he most likely got infected.

I picked it up 60 years ago working with fuse boards, also in the electrical trade.

Did your husband suffer any side effects from the treatment? Pain I can deal with but sickness and lack of energy I have difficulty dealing with.

• Hi Malpas  - he contracted it as an apprentice joiner 50 years ago he’s 67 - he worked in a woodworking shop & used to cut up  boards of Asbestolux - no masks or extraction in the early 70’s.  It’s horrendous isn’t it.  He hasn’t had any sickness just some fatigue although he did have chronic diarrhoea after his last treatment, turns out he had CDif so they have been unable to establish if it was caused by the treatment or not.  He was very tired during the radiotherapy but it worked wonders with the pain.

Best wishes to you too & do keep in touch it’s good to hear how others are doing & what treatments are being offered.

• Hi again, I’m 77 and fortunately had very good health all my life with the exception of a couple of broken wrists, thanks for the reply and I’ll keep you updated on my progress.

• Hello, my husband was diagnosed 18 months ago.  He had 6 rounds of chemo with good shrinkage but then the cancer grew back quickly.  Then he has managed 18 rounds of immunotherapy with little side affects until 4 weeks ago.  He is in hospital now, things are sadly getting complicated.  Throughout all his treatment we have continued our amazing life, he is so brave and positive, never once complained,  remarkable …..

• Hello another day, so sorry to hear your husband is not so good, I hope he feels better soon.

I was diagnosed with mesothelioma in December 22 and had surgery February 23, had scans every three months after, first two were clear but third showed signs the cancer had come back but fortunately it’s still very small and the doctors are not too concerned at the moment.

I’m having a fourth scan Tuesday and see if it’s grown any, but the waiting is torture isn’t it?

I will keep my fingers crossed for your husband.