Originally diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer , now they think Mesothelioma Cancer

• 7 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hello anyone who is out there

About a month ago I went for what I thought would be a routine X ray only to discover the hospital called me back for a CT scan. My GP called me in and said its bad news you have pancreatic cancer and this has caused fluid on the lung. However this turned out not to be true after a consultation with the gastroenterologist and an MRI scan. I was very pleased but was passed on to respiratory clinic because of fluid on the lung ( pleural effusion ) The team then took a sample of the fluid for testing and unfortunately it turned out to malignant. effusion and the Consultant thinks it is Mesothelioma of the pleura, but wont know until I have a biopsy of the lung .  I think I am also  having the pleura sealed??: to stop the lung filling with fluid. Don't know for certain as my appoint!ent is still 12 days away. 

I was wondering whether anyone has had this procedure and whether it worked. I know already this wont stop the cancer but many people seem to be very ill after biopsies on this forum. I am very scarred and also wondering to what extent can people live a comfortable life after diagnosis. I am currently very well, no chest  pain, no coughing, no shortage of breath, etc although I am guessing this situation can change rapidly. I am 61 years of age, never smoked and go running nearly everyday. However as a child I did play on an asbestos unfenced, no warning signs tip belonging to TAC in Widnes. 

Anyone's experience would be much appreciated. 

Thank you 

• Hi Mike, my dad had his lung sealed over a year ago as he has Mesothelioma- then was given immunotherapy which  has worked well but had to stop immunotherapy 3 months ago as suddenly developed side l effects. He’s so well at the moment walking the dog etc - he’s 75 years old. Hope it all goes well for you.

• thank you. I am so glad that your dad is doing well. It is really nice to hear that there is some good news. I perhaps foolishly just checked the internet and things always look so bleak. 

Cheers 

Mike 365

• Hi Mike 

I was diagnosed with non-small cell (NSCLC) lung cancer in Oct 22 and I too was very fit. Walking for miles and climbing hills with my dog as well as attending up to seven exercise classes a week. So it came as a huge shock. 
    I had fluid drained from my left lung and thankfully the fluid hasn’t returned. My treatment has been four cycles of Pemetrexed and Carboplatin and so far eleven of just a ten minute pemetrexed infusion which is ongoing, every three weeks. 
    I don’t have a cough or in any pain but the fatigue from chemo is pretty bad. But it hasn’t stopped me going to one exercise class a week and swimming. I have a good social life with plenty of opportunities for coffee and chats which distracts me from feeling negative. 
    I’m 77 and I’m sure keeping active all my life has helped me to deal with it. I stopped smoking forty three years ago. And I haven’t got a clue where I may have been in contact with asbestos. 
    I wish you well and whatever the outcome you will be ok. 
    Judy 

• Hi Mike my husband at 64 took unwell last August after previously been in great health, he had fluid drained from his lungs then in October got a vats procedure which confirmed he had mesothelioma,he had a couple of rounds of immunotherapy with no side effects but after a scan in January was told it wasn’t having any effect,he was offered chemo which he decided not to have. He takes minimum pain relieve and 2 mg of steroids and so far he is doing well he hasn’t needed anymore fluid drained and his breathing is fine. We are still getting out for meals,concerts and doing occasional overnights. Wishing you all the best and hope all turns out well for you.

• Hi Judy 

Thank you for getting in touch and I am so glad you still have an active life and like yourself I really enjoy exercise. Not had the results of the PET scan yet nor have I had a biopsy yet to confirm the stage and type of cancer. Sometimes I am very positive but at other times I feel really low and also wake up in the middle of the night with anxiety.  My wife and family are great and very supportive. I am also extremely nervous of the forthcoming biopsy.  I suppose the only  thing to do at the moment is to "keep calm and carry on " which I am trying to. 

Thanks once again. It really helps 

Mike 

• Good afternoon Bey 

Thanks for getting on touch which is greatly appreciated. Can I ask what is a "vats procedure?" I am glad he is able to still enjoy concerts and going out for meals and it is really good to hear his breathing is normal. At the moment I still feel completely well so it still feels unreal and sometimes I am in a state of denial about the whole situation. Our whole world has changed. 

Many thanks once again. 

Mike 

• Hi Mike Vats procedure I believe can be used for different treatments in my husbands case it verified he had mesothelioma. He was an electrician and experts say it would have been contracted from his employment in the 70s. Totally understand about your whole world changing as that is exactly how we are.