Side effects of immunotherapy

• 4 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi, hubby has had one cycle of immunotherapy but has really suffered with mouth ulcers and sore throat (possibly as there are some ulcers there too. He called the advice line and started using bonjela and a mouthwash. It got worse to the point that his lips, mouth and tongue were swollen. After another call to the advice line we ended up in a&e. They advised Difflam spray and gargling with a solution of anadin. Hubby tried that and for a short while it seemed to help. He called his nurse and she advised gargling with salt water. Again that helped for a while. When we saw the oncologist she checked his mouth and the ulcers seemed to be healing. That was last Thursday. They now seem to be getting worse again. Thing is without treatment he felt fine, but the cancer started to grow so the oncologist felt immunotherapy was the best thing. He has his second cycle on Thursday. I’m exhausted thinking about it. He is not able to drive anymore , and cannot really help with any support for our two adult children who have disabilities.

• Hi my first treatment really knocked me down for 10 days, but I am now approaching last treatment of my third cycle. I’ve had good improvement after each treatment I have a little dip when I get my treatment mainly tired for a couple of days.

I have gone from coughing blood for 18hrs and not being able to function to being able to be quiet active even getting back to doing Yoga & Pilates. Hang in there hope things get better for you sooner rather than later.

• Hi Steve. How is the immunotherapy going ? Well I hope ?

my husband has had very good results after being on immunotherapy only 2 months….

• Hi Nina,

is your husband coping better now with the immunotherapy ?  I wonder as my husband is on immunotherapy….

• Hi, hubby's mouth is just about under control as long as he uses the various mouth washes he has. sadly he now has troubles with frequent visits to the toilet. Yesterday he was prescribed very high dose of steroids and has an appointment with oncologist on Thursday