Father in Law End of life -Peritoneal Meso

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi

Have  found my way here as I come to terms with end of life stage of my Father in Law’s cancer diagnosis. Originally diagnosed in 2019 he qualified for surgery at Basingstoke and went on to have 18 months of cancer free living before symptoms started to reemerge end of last year. In January after exploratory surgery they confirmed it had returned and spread and that any treatment would have very limited effect. He had emergency surgery on his bowel and came home mid feb. We didn’t ask how long we likely had but in the past few weeks he has begun deteriorating. He barely eats, his sodium levels have been a concern and he is struggling to shower or walk upstairs. Equipment is being fitted at home and he remains in good spirit but given its bearing 5 months since symptoms re-emerged I and wondering how long we may have left??does anyone have and experience they can share to help me prepare for what’s to come? Thank you 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm very sorry to read how poorly your father-in-law is and it's natural to want to know what might happen next.

As you know, the online community is divided up into different support groups so I'm going to recommend that you also join the supporting someone with incurable cancer group as you'll then connect directly with others who are also supporting someone with an incurable diagnosis.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here, and join in with existing conversations by clicking on reply.

As for how long your father-in-law may have left, his hospital team will be in the best place to answer that question as they will have access to his records and know how well he's responded to treatment so far. You could speak to his consultant if your father-in-law will give his permission.

Sending (((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"