Hello, I'm new here

• 2 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi. I have just joined this forum looking to connect with others going through the same thing.

My husband was diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma in early January (2023) and I am also looking after my mum, who has Alzheimer's. I thought I was coping ok until Mother's Day last Sunday 19th March, when I ended up in A&E after crying and telling my husband I didn't remember anything. Diagnosis was Transient Global Amnesia, which the doctor put down to stress. I still don't feel back to normal, even though ECG, CT head scan and blood tests were all clear, and still feel my brain is "buffering" at times. 

My husband has always been strong and healthy but has lost so much weight, is hardly eating and now has a chest infection in the lung where he has a large secondary tumour. He is having his 3rd cycle of chemo next week.  I am trying to be strong and positive for him (and my mum) but the last couple of months seem to have taken their toll on my mental health. It's just awful seeing his deterioration and knowing it is only going to get worse. 

I am planning to have counselling but thought in the meantime I would join this forum. I have been reading many posts and everyone is so supportive and kind and also helpful with suggestions when necessary. My friends are very supportive but I think there is nothing like talking to others going through exactly the same thing. At the moment I am trying to take one day at a time whilst also knowing there are legal things, etc, that need to be organised. If anyone has any general information or suggestions I would be very grateful. Looking forward to getting to know some of you on here. Thank you for reading this.

• Hi my husband was diagnosed last October he had 2 sessions of immunotherapy in December after a scan in January we were told the tumour had grown slightly and immunotherapy was not working,he was offered chemo but has decided not to go ahead with this option as he thought the side effects outweighed the benefit . He also was fit and healthy before this happened and came as a complete shock to us it is horrible to watch him. up until a few weeks ago he was quite ok mentally but has now became very anxious. He was prescribed steroids and for about 6 weeks his mood was great but they don’t seem to be working the same now. I feel for you with your mums illness also ,our daughter was diagnosed last year with MS again totally out of the blue and we thought the worst had happened to us until this. I understand how you are feeling I have ok days then like today all I do is cry. It is hard to stay strong when you know the outcome.

• Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter and, of course, your husband.

It must be so difficult for you to watch your husband becoming anxious in addition to his physical condition. At the moment my husband says he has accepted his diagnosis and come to terms with it, whereas you have to cope with seeing your husband's anxiety as well. My mum is very anxious (one of the symptoms of Alzheimer's) so I know how hard it is to deal with. 

I suppose your poor husband is also very worried about your daughter, which must add to his anxieties. He must worry about you and your daughter and your future. Poor you having to cope with all this pain.  Life is so cruel sometimes. 

I was surprised your husband was given immunotherapy and then offered chemo. My husband was given chemo as the first step, then will have a CT scan after the 6 cycles, and then immunotherapy may be offered. My husband was reluctant to have chemo after being told about all the possible side effects but was persuaded by the oncology team that it was definitely worth it. Of course, it is always up to the individual and I would certainly support my husband if/when he decided to refuse further chemo. It must have been heartbreaking to hear his tumour had slightly increased in size after the immunotherapy. 

I am sorry you're having a crying day today. It is probably good to let it all out though. I kept all my feelings in and then had the TGA. As you say it is hard to stay strong when you know the outcome and maybe we put too much pressure on ourselves to stay strong. Do you have supportive friends and family? I hope you do but only people who are going through the same thing really understand, which is natural. Thank you for replying. I hope you have a better day tomorrow.