How can i help him?

• 4 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi,

my grandad, 74 has been diagnosed with sarcomatoid mesothelioma in the lining of his lung & is struggling so badly, he has no appetite weve tried every bit of food he says he fancies but then can’t eat he is just skin and bone & feel like he’s deteriorating so fast, he went to his first appointment around 2 months+ ago where they said they wasnt sure what it is and only said for certain over a week ago.

he can’t sleep for more than an hour or two he’s uncomfortable hes in pain, wasting away and i just want to know if there’s anything i can do to help him more?

- im not even sure what advice im looking for really just feel beside myself not being able to do much is there anything anyone recommends for comfort, sleep, stress, no appetite for him please?

• Have the doctors given him any painkillers, eg oramorph.  Also ask for a prescription for the milkshake type energy drinks.  They go down easily, sometimes drinking with a straw helps.  Perhaps he’d like to try some smoothies, but just a small amount - children’s size, it can be so overwhelming when a lot is put in front of you.

• Hi,

thankyou for replying yes hes on oramorph for his pain 20mg slow release tablets & top up with oral inbetween hes on allsorts of tablets too, he has ensure but not much, he fancies sweet things but when he tries to eat he can’t hes in so much pain around 3-5am hes begged my nan just to die hes so fed up, uncomfortable sleep & can barely walk now just want to help him is there anything i can buy him u can suggest for comfort etc?

• So sorry to hear he is suffering so much.  His doctor should be told the painkillers are not working.  There must be something they can do for him, don’t wait for appointments contact them now.  Its obviously pressing on a nerve or two or three.  I am fortunate, mine goes in cycles and is ok at the moment.

as he fancies sweet things, i presume you’ve tried a few mouthfuls of really rich ice cream.

• Are they suggesting any treatment Chemo or Immunotherapy?