Desmoplastic mesothelioma

• 4 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi 

New to this group, lost my dad to pleural meso last year and now my father in law,69,  has been diagnosed with the above. He currently having first round of chemo but wondering if any other treatments may be available for him? Being told its a rare form of meso?

Thank you for any feedback

• Hi   and welcome to the Online Community. I'm sorry to read you lost your Dad last year and now your father-in-law has been diagnosed with a rare form of Mesothelioma. I have a different type of cancer so I'm sorry I can't offer any advice.

I have provided a link to a booklet Understanding Mesothelioma which may be helpful.

I just dropped in and noticed you've not had a reply to your post as yet, hopefully someone will be along soon to chat. I just noticed posted something about Care Oncology Clinic that might also be interesting.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your father-in-law's journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep writing the same thing over and over. You can amend or update it at any time. 

To find more information covering diagnosis and treatments there are pages covering most types of cancers which can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Macmillan Support Services also offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Sorry to hear that you lost Dad and now your father in law is suffering too. My Dad also has the same type. He had 3 rounds of chemotherapy which unfortunately was unsuccessful. He’s now having immunotherapy which is working well for him at the moment. 

• Hi

My Dad also has Desmoplastic Meso. He has been on the Atomic trial with the drug Adipeg/placebo and chemo. He had 6 rounds of chemo and weekly injections. This week we found out that since the chemo finished (9 weeks ago) his tumours have increased in size by 25-50%. Yesterday he signed up for immunotherapy which will hopefully start within the next three weeks.

• Is the immunotherapy on the NHS?