A person I know with Mesothelioma

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi,

A person I know was diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma.  Chemo worked for a few months but pain returned.  Radiotherapy did not.  Now restricted to home and on morphine for pain.  I had researched immunotherapy which has been given accelerated approval in light of Covid.  My basic understanding is that it helps like chemotherapy but without the impact on the immune system that makes Covid much more risky.  I believe the oncologist does not think my friend is a candidate.  Are there time limits on when immunotherapy can work?  How do you get a second opinion without offending the oncologist?  Any other suggestions for what to do?  Any recommendations on pain?  Thanks for any advice and my heart goes out to anyone who has this condition or any family member who has it.  Thanks in advance.  St. P (Patron Saint of All Suffering from Life Threatening Illness)

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that someone you know has been diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma.

I know very little about this type of cancer but have found this information for you from Macmillan on getting a second opinion if the person you know wants to do this.

It would be great if you could pop something about your friend's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"