Hubby just diagnosed

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers
  • My husband had a dry cough for 12 weeks a d the drs would not see him, kept saying it was probably viral, then asthma, eventually they sent him for a scan and it showed fluid in the lung. A month later he was fitted with 2 drains , a week spent in hospital and then sent home with small drain still in which community nurses are draining on a weekly basis. We got the diagnosis last Thursday and although I was expecting the worst, I can’t stop crying. We still don’t know what treatment he will be offered, they are having a meeting to decide but we have been told surgery is off the table.
  • Hi 

I completely understand how you feel. My Dad was diagnosed a month ago, and I spent days crying.  A month on and i still feel tearful at times, however after the treatment meeting we had I felt a glimmer of hope.  My Dad wasn’t able to have surgery but he has started immunotherapy and whilst we are realistic about this horrid disease, I have read some really positive stories about this treatment.    My advice is don’t give up yet, have a read of some of the inspirational people stories on this forum to. They have helped give me some hope for Dad.   
    xx

• Take a look at my profile some of it ma help 

good luck

• My husband only started showing symptoms late July (breathlessness) but as he had had pneumonia earlier in the year we thought that had come back.  It was such a huge shock to us both when they done a ct scan and mentioned mesothelioma.  I knew straight away how bad that was as we lost my Dad to the same thing in 2015.  Unfortunately my husband deteriorated so so quickly that by the time a biopsy was done and the results clear he was already too weak for treatment.  He has a drain and nurses come every other day to drain him but they can't take too much as he gets such dreadful nerve related pain if the do.  He is at home having palliative care and things are changing very fast.  Frankly I am terrified, he didn't want to be at home but local hospice full, hospital doesn't seem to be an option so here we are.  My children are being wonderful but it's hard on them too. 

I hope your husband gets some treatment soon as I know it can be effective.  Our biggest problem was medical staff not listening to us, especially with the pain element as I believe it was unusual so be prepared to speak up and make yourself heard.I

I wish you the very best x