Mums diagnosis

• 6 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi, I'm new on here. My mum, 67, has recently been diagnosed with mesothelioma following brain tumour removal at the end of Dec. We've no idea how she's come into contact with asbestos. She's been in hospital now since beg of Dec and nurses have said they are trying to build her muscles up with a view to having further rehab and possible chemo. But they also said on average life expectancy is around 12 months and I want to be positive but alos don't want my mum to be put through a load of stuff for the inevitable to happen and her have little quality of life. Due to it already spreading to her brain she's confused and doesn't have capacity, the confusion can be variable. I suppose I'm wondering what other people would do? Or if anyone else has been in a similar situation? Its very hard for my dad without his wife of 48 years at the moment and he's trying to be positive but its very hard. Thx

• Hi and a warm welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that your mum has recently been diagnosed with mesothelioma which has spread to her brain causing confusion. This must be a very difficult time for you both especially with covid restrictions in place.

I don't have any experience with mesothelioma but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Replying to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where it hopefully be seen by someone who has had a similar experience.

If you want to know more about this type of cancer then clicking on the link above will take you to the information Macmillan have produced which includes a section on treatment to control the symptoms. 

I can understand why you and your dad are concerned about your mum's quality of life and this might be a conversation that your dad needs to have with your mum's consultant so that he can way up the pros and cons.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Take a look at my profile, some of it may help 

• Take a look at my profile, some of it may help 

• Hi , I've only just joined so this reply is maybe a bit late. I'm very sorry to hear about your Mum. My Mum survived an aggressive brain tumour (against the odds!) a few years ago. We're devastated that after all that she's now been diagnosed with mesothelioma. Like you, it's been a complete shock regarding the asbestos link. Looking back, her confusion and communication difficulties in the first couple of months after brain surgery were really scary, but in her case, it did pass - the brain is amazing at healing itself. I hope the consultant is helping you with the decisions too?

• Thanks for the reply. Mum passed away 09th March. She was too weak to fight infection and didn't recover well enough to withstand treatment. She also never regained her capacity so continued to be in a confused state. 

Thanks for replying though and I wish your mum all the best with her journey. Make sure you look into claiming for industrial injury disablement benefit and attendance allowance, she will be entitled. Thx

• Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that , and sorry for posting when you're going through that. My thoughts are with you and your Dad and I hope you're doing ok. Thank you for the advice, that's really helpful.