Fatigue

• 5 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with mesothelioma in December 22 and had an operation in February 23 to remove the plural from around my lung, heart and diaphragm and been recovering ever since.

Have scans every three months to check on any return of the infection but at the moment I’m told its stable so not receiving any treatment which is good.

I’m expecting a phone call from the hospital on the 21st to let me know the results of the last scan, scary times.

I do have a question if anyone can help with and that is “is it normal to still feel fatigued after 16 months after surgery? If I start a job within a few minutes I’m short of breath and have to take a break to get my breath back, I can’t work for more than five minutes before I have to stop and rest.

My wife keeps telling I must get more exercise before we go on holiday in August but my breathing won’t allow me to.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had the same problem.

• Hi  

That's great that your scans are showing that everything is stable but I can fully empathise with how it feels waiting for the results of scans.

I'm not a member of this group, so I don't know if it's normal to feel fatigued 16 months after surgery, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

If you don't get any replies here, you could have a chat with your CNS and see what they have to say.

I hope you're able to get away on holiday and have a lovely time.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi and thank you for your reply, always good to hear from people who are experiencing a similar problem.

It was also good to hear everything is going well for you, let’s hope it continues well into the future.

I’m expecting a phone call from professor Fennel on Tuesday 21’st to discuss the latest scan so I will ask him about the fatigue.

My wife wants me to do more exercises but all movement makes the pain in my side worse and I end up taking more pain killers which makes me even more tired, seems to be a vicious circle, but I’ll do whatever the professor Fennel suggests.

Thanks again for replying, good to see someone is reading these messages and good luck for the future.

• Hi Malpas hope you get good news today.  My husband is starting chemo on Friday as immunotherapy hasn’t worked - cancer has doubled in size but contained to one area.  He has been offered a Cordotomy where they fuse the nerves at the top of the spine to hopefully alleviate the pain, but not sure this can happen whilst on Chemo.

Good luck with your results & hope they can sort the fatigue.

• Hi Wardyboy, thanks for the reply, regrettably the results showed a very small growth rate but it has taken twelve months to get to this so professor Fennell is not too concerned but suggested that I start immunotherapy and chemotherapy next week.

He asked if I was in pain and to what scale it was, I told him it’s about 2-3 but I do take a dose of Oramorf a couple of times a week.

He’s hoping the treatment will shrink the tumour as it’s rubbing on my rib bone and causing the pain.

The fatigue is to be expected and wasn’t concerned.

Hope everything is okay with you and your husband.

• Hope the treatment works for you.  My husband’s tumour is pressing on the top two ribs which causes him pain. He has tried immunotherapy to no effect & is starting chemotherapy this week.

Good luck hope you get good results.