starting Immunotherapy

• 35 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Morning

Next week I will be starting immunotherapy treatment for Mesothelioma. I will be given two drugs to begin with. When I went this week to Claterbridge Hospital in Liverpool for pre-treatment blood tests and a ECG my treatment plan was not available. So I was wondering how often the drugs are given and over what time frame? Also how have people found immunotherapy in this group. I still feel very well but I am concerned about the potential huge number of side effects explained in a booklet they gave to me. Many thanks 

• Hi  

I can't help with your questions, as I'm not a member of this group, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be easier to be seen by the other group members.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Wishing you all the best with your treatment

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks Latchbrook for that helpful information. I have now included my profileThumbsup

• Hi Mike my husband was diagnosed with Pleural Mesothelioma in June this year.  He started immunotherapy in August & side effects have been minimal - some itching & fatigue but otherwise ok.  We have managed 3 weeks in Greece between treatments & a short break to Lisbon.  I’d say book the cruise if you feel well - will do you a world of good.  My husband is at the hospital this morning having his fourth treatment.  He had a CT scan 3,weeks ago but hasn’t had results yet, his Oncologist hasn’t received the radiotherapy report yet & wont discuss results until he receives it.

My husband gets his treatment at the lung centre at Wythenshawe Hospital.  

• My husband received the treatment every 3 weeks  his side affects was he was tired he only had 3 treatments before he passed away October 22 nd  he was diagnosed in July I pray that the treatments work for you much love to you and your family 

• Good evening Wardyboy, firstly let me say I very much hope that the scan results for your husband to well and the immunotherapy is working. I guess it it is difficult waiting for results. It was lovely to hear that the side effects of immunotherapy have been minimal. I started immunotherapy on the 8th October and so far all okay with no side effects. I still feel really well and have not really have  any ill health but guess that can change quickly. Ah cruises we love them, so after reading your remarks I am going to ask the consultant  about booking holidays and cruises. Thank you for your reply and it was really nice to read an uplifting story which cheered me up.

• Hi Mike - yes check with your Oncologist - my husband’s gave us the ok to go.

• Thank you. I definitely will! 

• Hi, our consultant lets us go overseas regular, my husband has just had his 12th immunotherapy treatment.  We fly the day after a treatment and land back the day before the actual next  treatment ….. so far so good, no side affects, he is making the most of everything ! Incredible man … so positive 

• Thank you for your reply,  It sounds like you are really well organised and I will definitely seek clarification from the consultant when I speak to him next week. 

many thanks

Mike 

• Hi, may I firstly say I am sorry for your loss and I know how difficult it is to lose a loved one. It is such a cruel disease and for the most part entirely preventable if companies had followed health and safety laws in the first place. I am hoping for good things from immunotherapy but realise from reading posts from people that it seems more often than not, not particularly successful, so I pray for the best but but deep down inside expect the worst. 

Thank you 

Mike