Husband has travelled to be with his dad- end of life care

• 1 reply
  • 14 subscribers

Hi,

I just need somewhere to write down my experiences as I’m feeling very lonely. My father in law was diagnosed with mesothelioma a year ago and is losing his battle. My husband is Australian and has been coming and going to see his family and I’ve found this time apart so difficult as we have a young daughter and I have work to juggle too. We got a call last week that he was going to die and for my husband to go asap so he went. My father in law has always been so fit and has picked back up again after they treated an infection but the cancer has travelled to his bones, lymph nodes and liver. He is being discharged tomorrow so my husband now plans to stay and help his mum take care of his dad. I love my family but I feel lonely, isolated and am missing my husband again and have absolutely no idea how long he will be away for. Then I feel selfish for missing him as he’s needed but he may be Australia for some time. I’m not really after any advice, just feel so sad I’m not there to support him but also know my daughter needs her routine of school etc. it’s been a very long, emotional and exhausting year and I don’t know how best to support him from the and end up crying a lot which doesn’t help anyone.

• Hi 

I can understand why you're feeling lonely right now. It must be an incredibly hard time for you trying to support everyone.

As you know, the online community is divided up into different support groups so can I recommend that you join and post in the family and friends group which is a safe and supportive place to discuss your worries and emotions as well as find out how others have provided support at this difficult time.

If this is something that you think might help, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there where you can then join and post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

Sending a virtual (((hug)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"