How to cope

• 1 reply
  • 14 subscribers

Hubby was diagnosed with mesothelioma in January. He was given the prognosis of 6 months. But he is ok. He has a scan every 3 months and there is no change. He still has some pain sometimes from his chest drain sites (he had a collapsed lung which led to the diagnosis). He also has diabetes and due to that has been diagnosed as partially sighted. Wonderful local mesothelioma charity helped with forms so he gets PIP enhanced for both, plus the government weekly money and compensation. His case for compensation from wherever the asbestos was from is ongoing, although he really wishes he hadn’t made the claim as it is just too much.

2 yrs ago I had womb cancer, hysterectomy, chemo and radiotherapy treatment and so far fine. Apart from a swallowing issue. Originally thought to be stress, anxiety or possibly allergic reaction. Had a failed endoscopy as scope could not pass stricture 25 cm in. Put on Omeprozole high dose, 2nd endoscopy and have Barrett’s and small hiatus hernia. Increased risk of of oesophageal cancer. Told to loose weight and currently waiting for results of the 22 biopsies taken! 

I’ve not told hubby about increase in risk of cancer. 

on a more positive note, and what is keeping me going for now, is that we decided last month to get another rescue dog. He is just amazing and is getting me out walking every day. He is 3 but very playful and makes me laugh lots.

im not sure of the point of this but sometimes I just sit and think what next. 

• Hi

It sounds like you have been through so much with both your husband's diagnosis and your own and now you're waiting for more results. It's no wonder that you wonder how to cope with it all.

Your new rescue dog sounds lovely and, as you say, they make you go out for a walk even if you don't feel like it. So many people stop to chat as well that it's a great way to meet people.

You might like to join the animals are family too group where you can share photos and stories about your dog with other animal lovers. If this is something that you'd like to do just click on the link I've created.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"