Mesothelioma or conventional lung cancer

• 3 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Just over 10 months ago my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer. Initially the CT scan reports said “compatible with mesothelioma “ which didn’t come as a surprise as he had worked for 12 years for Turner and Newall (asbestos).

However after having an EBUS we were told the working diagnosis was a metastasised conventional lung cancer (NSCLC adenocarcinoma) probably caused by excessive asbestos exposure BUT with equivocal immunohistochemistry result. 

At his latest consultant appointment we asked about this again as it seems to us that because of the “uncertain” immunohistochemistry result there is still a question mark about exact diagnosis. We were told it is often difficult to determine but that treatment would be roughly the same.  

Has anyone else had this experience? We accept that the “prognosis “  is probably the same and that treatment for either is similar but we’re not sure if we should be seeking a second opinion? Any advice would be most appreciated. 

Grasan

• Sorry you are both in this position.  Really you should be seeking legal advice in case your husband is entitled to compensation.  We can probably all recommend solicitors but perhaps macmillan keep a list.

• Hi roni

Thanks for your reply we have contacted a solicitor about compensation from the Turner and Newall Trust and my husband has been awarded Industrial Injuries benefit. We have been told by the consultant that his lung cancer is due to asbestos exposure and he also has pleural thickening and benign pleural plaques. His CT scan reports all say his cancer is “compatible with mesothelioma “ but pathology and biopsy results have been “equivocal “ so they are treating it as NSCLC adenocarcinoma. We know that as his cancer is Stage 4 there is probably little difference to treatment but we don’t know whether to ask for a second opinion regarding it possibly being mesothelioma and if it would make any difference either way. 
    I have read your profile and found it inspiring!!!!! 
    Grasan 

• I’ve read your profile and see your husband is on treatment and it appears to be doing some good, thank goodness. As to second opinion, everyone has to decide this for themselves.  You are entitled to it.  I asked for extra advice twice, i thought i’d put it in my profile but it isn’t there!!!! First time round i sent my ct scan to a doctor in the states to ask about cryablation but it was no go. Then i went up to sheffield to see a surgeon about peeling the meso from the lungs, i went away to think about it - i’m still thinking!!!!! (About 10 years on!!!).