My dad has been diagnosed with Mesothelioma

• 13 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi, 

My dad has been diagnosed with Mesothelioma cancer just before Christmas. It was a shock to us all, as we thought he had asthma. It started when he couldn’t breath, therefore he had an x ray and water build up, which he has now had drained out. 

Following on from further scans and the biopsy the diagnosis was confirmed. He should be starting chemo next week, however, has to have a few further blood tests. 

Does anyone have any experiences of chemo for this type of cancer? How much chemo is normally needed? It is very scary, as I keep looking at things on Google and the information coming up is worrying, as it does not sound too good. 

It’s shocking as at the moment since the water has been drained you wouldn’t know he is not well, he seems normal. 

• Lets hope he doesnt have side effects but they dont start straight away they might show tomorrow for a couple of days and then feel better again. I only have treatment as it grows back again over so many years but I get breaks in between Months and years. Im now on 2 years since I have had treatment so I just enjoy that time xx

• Thanks, that’s really good that you have not had to have treatment for 2 years, I’m glad you get to enjoy time without treatment too. 

My dad has had a few nose bleeds since the chemo, there not that bad, but I guess that’s normal. He is having more treatment on Tuesday. 

i hope you are well x 

• Hi Sky A, 

Sorry to hear about your dads diagnosis, it must be a very difficult time for you all. 

My Dad was diagnosed in April 21, he also had chemotherapy but unfortunately it didn’t have the desired effect. After 3 rounds he was moved over to immunotherapy which appeared to be stabilising the cancer initially. Unfortunately, following a scan in October it was found the cancer had now spread to his liver so it was decided there was no more treatment, he is now on palliative care only supported by the local hospice. 

It’s lovely to read positive stories but unfortunately for some of us that isn’t the case. 

I wish you and your family all the best.