Dad passed due to mesothelioma now mum has fluid on lungs, worries

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Worried sick! My Dad passed my after a six month battle with mesothelioma on 23rd December, we moved mum to live with us and now she has fluid on lungs and pain. She’s on antis and morphine and is booked in for CT scan next Friday Can’t help worrying that it may be same, also worrying for my future self. Is it rare for spouses and children to also be affected?

mand x

• So sorry to hear that mandiloo.

My understanding is that mesothelioma is more likely to occur in males because of their jobs as they would have more exposure to asbestos through their work.

There are some occasions where women have developed it because of their spouse's job. E.g. if the husband comes home in his overall and still has fibres on it. Their wives may possibly inhale the fibre while doing the washing and drying. Overall it's rarer but not unheard of.

Try to stay positive about your mum. There's a lot of unknowns right now and fluid / pain could literally be anything.

As for yourself, I know it's difficult but try not to worry about it. Worrying when there is no cause to only detracts from the (presumably!) healthy life you have now and what you can enjoy. If it happens, it happens! I don't mean to be blase or even patronising about it, I just hope it gets you into a better mindset because while it's understandable you might have a little niggling doubt, in the long term it's just 'wasted time' to think about right now!

If you've seen my other posts you know I'm a huge advocate for mental health and have said this many times so I hope I do not cause any offence.

Wishing you the best. Please let us know how it goes.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to hurtandconfused981

Of course you are totally right, it is best to think positive and until mum has the scan we are just guessing.

X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to hurtandconfused981

Well it’s been confirmed this week that she does have a tumour on her lungs, she will be having it drained tomorrow then they will send fluid off to be checked to see if they can find what cancer it is otherwise it’s biopsy 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Sorry to see this. Wishes to you all

• FormerMember

Thankyou Rose x

• FormerMember

Hi Mandiloo. I just wanted to check in to see how you and Mum we’re doing? Did they find out what type of cancer it is? And is she getting treatment. Sending well wishes xx