Not sure where to go next

• 54 replies
  • 13 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with Mesothelioma in June 2018.  He had six rounds of chemo which was horrible.  He showed a very slight improvement after 3 rounds and then stable after 6 which continued until May 2019 when it showed disease progression.  After a lot of investigation and discussion he eventually chose to go on the Confirm trial for immunotherapy which he started in July 2018.  He has felt really well since then with much more energy and no side effects.  The plural fluid has now dried up after nearly 18 months.  The consultant was convinced that he was on the drug not the placebo and they were impressed with his clinical response.  However two weeks ago, just prior to a treatment, he was called by the consultant to say that the people organising his trial had looked at a scan done 3 months ago, and decided because there was a small increase in the meso that he should be taken off the trial.  We feel it is strange that it took 3 months to come to this conclusion and this has tied in with the start of Coronavirus .  We do not seem to be the only ones whose treatment has suddenly stopped.  I understand that the NHS are under pressure but does this mean that anyone with a terminal illness is being denied treatment.  He has supposedly been handed back to the original hospital where he was being treated but not sure if we have to just wait for them to contact us.  Maybe they are hoping he will just keep quiet!

• Thanks so much for replying.  There is a way of sending private messages but I'm not sure how to do this.  Can anyone help?

• Hi 

To be able to send / receive private messages you have to be 'Friends' with the other member.

This is easy enough; Just click on their 'green' username and then you will see under their name "Add Friend" button. Click this and a friend request email will be sent. As soon as they accept you can send private messages using the Friends tab on your profile page.

There is a step by step guide here.

Hope this helps, G ' J

• Thanks.  I'll try now.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Sky is the Limit

My husband has had chemo but the mesothelioma is active and growing, his oncologist has refused to do any more treatment, he hasn’t had any scans or x rays for  6 months so we have lost hope, I have sent you a friend request as I would be grateful for any info you have on getting the private immunotherapy, hope that’s ok. Regards Karen

• Hi Karen.  Sorry to hear about your husband.  We were very lucky that John was offered the Confirm trial.  I will respond as soon as I get your friend request.  Nothing received so far.  I sent a friend request to someone yesterday whose husband is having private treatment.  If I hear anything from them I will pass it on to you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello,

i would like to ask you about the immunotherapy treatment being given at home if you don’t mind? My husband should be starting immunotherapy but it’s been stopped due to the corona virus. So I’d be very interested to know of any other ways of receiving treatment.

i can send you a friend request if you don’t mind?

Thanks

Tricia

• Just thought I'd pop in and say that you don't have to befriend each other to swop information. In fact the whole idea of the community is to freely swop information and experiences and to support each other in an open forum. This is so that new people joining the community can quickly find the information and help that they need.

Obviously if you feel something is very sensitive and you don't want to share it with others that's different.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jayne53

Hi Jayne, that would be great thanks.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

I agree,

We all use this site to gain and access info when we need it or when we feel we can share some advice to others. Unless it is sensitive info I think the more shared on here is better - you never know who may need the information you have and how much it may help somebody. 

• The more information we can all share the better but I have been told in the past that you are not allowed to give specific information such as hospitals, consultants or private practices and this can only be done privately.  If I am wrong please let me know.