Treating Side Effects of Mesothelioma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hello,

At the end of 2019, my mother was diagnosed with advanced pleural mesothelioma. The cancer is in the lining of her lung and in the abdomen. 

She has undergone 4 rounds of aggressive chemotherapy treatment, which contained cisplatin, avastin, and a strong steroid. The effects were horrible, most notably extreme nausea and abdomen distension. And the fluid building in her lung causes major discomfort, but she will most likely have that drained periodically.

After the final round, last week's scan shows that the tumors have stabilized, so we are commencing with maintenance chemo soon. This will be every 3 weeks, but it will no longer include cisplatin.

My family is learning to cope with the new normal, but I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for treating abdomen distension or nausea? Or perhaps tips from your own experiences with these chemo drugs?

We've tried prescription anti-nausea medicine and medical marijuana but neither has helped. 

Any tips or guidance through this time would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to hear that you mother has been diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma and she's currently suffering with a distended abdomen and nausea.

I don't have any experience with this type of cancer but I noticed that your post hadn't had any responses yet. This could be because no one here has had the same experience or simply that the person who has, hasn't seen your post yet. By replying to you it will 'bump' your post back to the top of the page where it'll be more easily seen.

I don't know if you've seen this booklet that Macmillan have produced on understanding mesothelioma. If you scroll down to page 76 it talks about how ascites (which causes a distended stomach) can be treated. If you haven't done so already, give your mum's CNS a call and tell her about your mum's distended stomach and also her nausea as there are lots of different drugs around to combat nausea.

I notice that you've said that your mum has tried medical marijuana and it's very important that she tells her team if she takes any type of supplements as some things can make cancer treatments less effective or increase their side effects.

When you have a minute it would be useful if could pop something about your mother's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Sending a supportive (((hug))) ... from a safe distance!

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi - Thank you so much for your virtual hug, support, meso information, and guidance on this site.

Regarding ascites: Her oncologist doesn't believe it to be caused by ascites because she actually has very little fluid buildup in her abdomen and the abdominal tumors haven't grown. Most of the fluid is built up in her lung. Our best guess is the distension is an adverse effect of cisplatin, the harshest drug in her chemo cocktail that causes relentless nausea. 

The upcoming maintenance chemo regime doesn't contain cisplatin (thank goodness), and we are hoping the distension reduces over time.

I was hoping for advice from anybody with similar effects from cisplatin or a different chemo drug. Also, the medical marijuana was prescribed and encouraged through her oncologist, but it hasn't proven very helpful...

But the "Understanding Meso" guide is incredibly helpful for so many reasons. 

Thank you so much for kind words.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello,

I had two rounds of chemo  2016 and 2017 which involved taking steroids a day before and on the day of treatment that included cisplatin.

Two days after the treatment  I felt so bad I was in bed for four days. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice to avoid this, it was a pattern l came to accept as part of the treatment.