Biopsy

• 6 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi everyone.I had a recent dermatologist appointment after having a skin lesion for around 5 years. I have had 2 GP,s and a further 3 dermatologist appointments saying nothing to worry about. However recent dermatologist appointment said biopsy was needed and I am in total shock. The appointment was less than 5 mins long, I was sent for imaging and MRSA swabs. The whole thing was very efficient and over within 10 mins, but I was shell shocked I nearly completely crumbled when getting the imaging done. I can't process it as I don't know what to process. The consultant said he couldn't see anything concerning with the dermatoscope but ordered an urgent biopsy. It all doesn't make sense Worried

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the melanoma group which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I can understand why you feel that

It all doesn't make sense

when the dermatologist doesn't feel that there's anything concerning about your skin lesion but still wants a biopsy doing. I had the same when I went for a consultation and my consultant wanted to remove the lesion to find out what it was. Unfortunately, for me it was melanoma but hopefully for you it won't be.

Have you got your date for your excision biopsy yet?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for your reply. You have certainly been on a journey.

I too hope my consultant is correct as this is what I am holding on to. My biopsy is scheduled for later this month then I know I will have to wait for the results for probably weeks.

I am trying to stay positive but find things overwhelming atm

Take care x

• It’s Important to determine if it’s melanoma or benign so don’t worry about the biopsy it’s good that they are doing it.

• It's natural to feel overwhelmed but my best advice would be to try and occupy yourself doing things that you enjoy as you then have less time thinking about the 'what ifs'.

Lots of people find mindfulness really helpful and, if this is something that you might be interested in, clicking here will give you more information.

I try to live by what someone once told me and that's that worrying won't change the outcome but will ruin the present.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you. I agree it totally is good they are doing something. I think because I was  expecting a repeat of my last 2 appointments where no concerns was the conclusion it was a shock. At a previous appointment I was even told we can't keep seeing you just to monitor .

Xx

• Thank you again. I will certainly try mindfulness, I used it way back when I was having trouble sleeping and would fall asleep before the first sentence was finished.

I usually have such a very busy life, work and grandchildren leave little time to myself but maybe a revaluation is order.Kissing heart