My husbands diagnosis

• 3 replies
  • 66 subscribers

I'm new to the group my husband has just been diagnosed with metastatic melanoma in his liver and bones. He had a neck dissection 18 months ago to remove a secondary melanoma (he has an unknown

Primary) that went well and he was clear from October 22 until January 24 

When we had the diagnosis.  I for one am absolutely terrified at what might come but feel I need to prepare myself. He is starting combination immunotherapy tomorrow and we're looking forward to getting started. I just want someone to tell me what's to come and no sugar coating. I'm at my wits end but my husband is really positive and I'm wondering if he's just in denial. Please can someone help us.

Kindest regards Andrea 

•  

Hi Andrea and a very warm welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to read that you've just learned that your husband's cancer has spread to his liver and bones and it sounds like it's a very difficult time for you right now.

There are lots of people in the group who are having immunotherapy for melanoma and I'm sure one of them will be along soon to share their experiences with you.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your husband's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I hope his treatment goes well today.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Andrea.

So sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis, however I thought I'd get back to you both with a positive tale following my diagnosis/treatment. 

My profile gives more detail, however I also had a neck dissection, followed by combined Ipi/Nivo immunotherapy and then just Nivo for 2 years.

The result (after the combined therapy) - the cancer had disappeared from my liver & lungs.

I finished my treatment approx. 6 months ago, and now have regular dermatology reviews and CT scans.

You will no doubt see on here that some people struggle with side effects, and that is certainly the case, but not everyone struggles (I'm very lucky in that I didn't).

Hope the treatment goes well and that the immune response is strong.

All the very best.

• Hi there Andrea, I could be wrong, but, sometimes it’s easier for the people with the diagnosis to cope. Yes, we have our rubbish days but we put our trust in the experts and our friends & family are our strength. Don’t underestimate that you just ‘being’ there for hubby isn’t good enough. I’m learning that everyone’s journey is completely different. If it helps, I can tell you that my 4 treatments of double immunotherapy went smoothly and I now get just the Nivolumab, and will continue with this, monthly, for 2 years. I’m stage 4 but the treatment is shrinking my cancer..