Hello!

• 6 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hello all 

I was diagnosed may 2022 with melanoma 1a. I have previously gone through Hodgkin’s disease and been cured in 2007z. So I’m a dad hand at the cancer journey, 

I am currently under investigation for BC but think I’m a little concerned about my last check up for my melonama next month and them sighing me off as I like the check ups as reassurance.

what are your experiences after being signed off from check ups and any reoccurrence?

how did you cope mentally too? Thanks you sending love 

• Hi  

Although I haven't yet been discharged by my dermatologist, I do understand the worry that you'll no longer be having regular check-ups by a professional.

I have already decided that when I am discharged I'm going to pay to have a check-up once a year for my peace of mind. In between, I'd continue to do self checks and compare them to photos I took when I was first diagnosed so I can see if I have any new moles or if any of the existing moles have changed.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi latchbrook, 

have you found anywhere that offers good check ups that’s reasonable - I thought about this but don’t know quite where to begin. Thanks 

x

• I know that my current NHS dermatologist also has a private practice so I was going to see her privately. I think most dermatologists also do private work so you could ask yours.

I have had to see a dermatologist privately in the past and it was about £150. You could have a look at your local private hospitals, ie Bupa, The Spire, BMI, etc to see what the current going rate is.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Found someone local that can do a full body check for £90 have my last check up on Tuesday which I’m really worried about as I have so many questions - felt like I have wasted the last year for not asking these questions and now worried I’m going to miss something! Downloaded an app recommended by melanoma uk that helps you take pictures so I’m going to do that as only have one set of photos from august!!  I think I need to take this more seriously and it’s very scary 

• I was first diagnosed with melanoma nearly 7 years ago now and the dermatologist who initially looked after me, got me to take photos of the different sections of my body, eg. lower left front leg, upper left front leg, etc. I use those photos to compare me now with then so that I can spot any changes or see any new moles as I'm a very moley person. You could do something similar to help you keep track.

x

Community Champion Badge