New here! Hi there

• 3 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hi 

I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma in May 2013. I had WLE, lymph node removal, brain metastasis, shoulder replacement (due to the effects of radiotherapy), small bowel metastasis. I’ve received some combination niv and ipi treatment but also have an ongoing liver condition (NASH) which meant I couldn’t receive the full quantity of doses. 
Im so very grateful to my friends and family team and my medical team for their support. 
Sadly my 95 yr old dad whom I adore has been diagnosed with liver cancer and I’m trying to be strong for him and my mom but the hardest emotional thing is that I’m afraid of what the stress will do to my own cancer and how best to support my parents when I could have another recurrence of my own. My parents are due to have a care package once dad comes out of hospital but as an only child I’m feeling it all on my shoulders. My husband is amazing but he worries about me.

just want to sound off to a support group really, so thank you anyone who is reading this xx 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your dad has recently been diagnosed with liver cancer and it must be an incredibly hard time for the whole family.

I can also understand why you'd worry that the stress of the situation could cause you to have a recurrence of your melanoma. I don't know if stress could cause this but it might be an idea to talk this through with your SCNS.

As you know, the online community is divided up into different support groups so I'm going to recommend that you join the family and friends group which is a safe and supportive place to share your worries and emotions about your dad with others who may be in a similar situation.

If this is something that you'd like to do, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here, and join in with existing conversations by clicking on reply.

You might also want to join the liver cancer group as this would give you the opportunity to ask others with liver cancer about treatment, etc.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far, and that of your dad, into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Dancing!

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry to hear about your Dad - 95 is incredibly impressive!

Im interested to hear about your own journey. My fiancé also has just been diagnosed with 4 brain mets so it makes me hopeful that you seem to have done so well since 2013.

Did the Ipi/Nivo control the brain mets? Or did you have SRS as well? He’s had 2 rounds of immuno so far with little side effects - bit of fatigue and hair thinning, but we won’t know if it’s even working for a few more months at least :( Also 4 rounds of CyberKnife to really knock them down.

Anything you can tell me to lift my spirits would be really lovely! 
    Hope your dad is going ok <3

• Hello Good Vibes - lovely to make contact!

My brain met was respected and a further,tiny, one was dealt with via cyberknife in 2014. My bowel resection was completed in 2018

I had two rounds of the expected 4 of ipi/niv but my liver acted up and it had to stop( had a liver condition before all this)

I would like to think that if your fiancé has had cyberknife and 2 rounds of  ipi/niv that  he is getting the best treatment to knock out the mets. 

My diagnosis was 10 years ago and I’m still here. There are new treatments being developed all the time and we pin our hopes on these.

However, I firmly believe in the power of positive thinking and the support of the team of family and friends and the medical team around you all.

It’s ok to show weakness and fear - we do it all the time! But I have found in myself and my husband has also found, a strength we didn’t know we had.

You  and your  fiancé will find the same. Be strong, be brave and keep those good vibes going!

Get in touch any time