Plastic surgeon

• 3 replies
  • 74 subscribers

I have got my appointment to see plastic surgeon talk about surgery for mole removed off my leg came back melonoma in situ, now got to av a skin graft any advice given 

• Hi

That's great that you have an appointment through to talk about your upcoming surgery. I haven't had a skin graft, so can't help with what questions to ask, but I'm 'tagging' into my reply to you as they've posted recently about having a skin graft. Hopefully they'll be able to pop on with some suggestions of questions you might want to ask.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Cruzey, 

welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Latchbrook is correct in that I had stage 1b on my left lower leg just above my ankle. As a result I had a WLE which required a skin graft. My only advice is, ask as many questions as you are comfortable with. My experience was that I was only given very high level info proactively, but they were willing to answer anything. My consultant was particularly good in that respect I suspect some don’t want to know all the details and others do so they seem to expect you to ask rather than offer it proactively. On the practical side, asking about recovery requirements is worthwhile. For example I wasn’t allowed to drive for 3 weeks though they were happy for me to work from right away from home with my leg elevated etc (I work a desk job though). Something I wish I had asked more about was that the skin graft scars would look like initially and over time. I didn’t know what to expect and I was a little surprised when I first saw it but I’m told it will improve significantly over time (and so far it is each week). Anyway, feel free to ask if you want to know any more of my experiences. Ive posted about it a bit in my profile and I’m various threads already. Good luck, given it’s in situ, it’s been caught early which is always a good thing though I know how much of a shock a diagnosis is. Take care!

• Many thanks for your info x