Just saying hello

• 9 replies
  • 66 subscribers

Hi all,

My name is Claire and although I was diagnosed with stage 2B melonoma back in April I have only just been brave enough to post a note. I have never used any form of social media before. That makes me sound like a dinosaur and I suppose it is not strictly true if you count WhatsApp. I think now might be the time to brave the new world so that I can connect with some folks going through the same thing. I have updated my profile with my story so far. Keen to find out if anybody else has experience long waiting times. Is there NHS targets for these things? Fingers crossed I can work out how to respond if anybody talks to me!

• Hello Claire123 and welcome to the melanoma forum.  I'm sad to hear about your diagnosis of stage 2b melanomlast April.  What's been happening since then ? 

Have you started any treatments yet? Scans? 

If you can do WhattsApp hon then you can do this one.  It's easyish to navigate and ask anyone of us for help, we've all been there.

We are a friendly lot on here and lots of support is on offer too xx

• Unfortunately nothing much has been happening since then just a lot of waiting and some worrying. I eventually got an appointment for a WLE and SNLB for Tuesday 19th of April and after 4 hours at the hospital they sent me home as it was too hot in theatres. I have managed to update my story in the profile section (I hope!)

• Sorry that date of April should have read July!!

• Ahh that’s a ridiculous wait have you a new date yet xx 

• When they sent me home they said it would be next week. I am keeping everything crossed that the letter arrives soon. 

• Hi and another welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Like you, I was diagnosed with Stage 2b melanoma on my upper arm although mine was nearly 6 years ago now.

I had a wait of about 10 weeks between being told I had melanoma and having the follow-up WLE and SLNB. In my case the delay was because that winter the NHS were really stretched and even cancer operations were having to be postponed. 

When I spoke to my SCNS about the lengthy wait she pointed out that the melanoma had already been removed and that the WLE was a "mopping up exercise" to make sure that no stray cells had been left behind. That did make the wait easier to bear.

As for NHS waiting times targets, this link will take you to Cancer Research's page on this topic.

I hope you get your appointment soon

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you, it is reassuring that you don’t think the waist will be too detrimental and I did get a letter this morning so fingers crossed it will take place on Tuesday 26th July.

• it is Thursday 28th of July and I had my WLE and SLNB on the 26th and feel fine, They took three nodes all from under my arm and a bit more from my upper arm. I am a little sore but nothing that a couple of paracetamols does not cure. They said I need to go back in a week and have my wounds looked at. Then the results from the biopsy in approximately 6 to 8 weeks. Apparently there is a big delay. It is the waiting that I find the hardest. 

• Glad to hear that everything's gone well and you're just feeling a little sore.

I agree that waiting for results is hard so now's the time to treat yourself to doing things that you enjoy to pass the time Slight smile

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"