Melanoma face

• 4 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hi just had a stage 1 melanoma  removed from my temple 2 days ago and skin graft. I kniw how lucky I am. Not sure if I should post as I know how lucky I am but think it has just hit me and I am struggling  to keep convincing my family that I am ok with this. I am acting so positive and  saying how it is nothing but in truth it is painful and I am devastated.  Sorry for the self pity I know others are going through much worse.  Currently  caring for an aunt who has just been discharged  from a hysterectomy  for womb cancer 

• Hi Meadow29

I am positive that the effects from the melanoma and the pain you have gone through to have had it removed are just as devastating to you as it was devastating to me to know I have lung cancer.
    Don’t be sorry to feel like that as it does tend to hit you when you least expect it and of course you should post on here snd share the good news if you are now cancer free. 
    from my own experience of not talking to my family of how I was really feeling, I would say stop struggling to keep from them how difficult you are finding it and let them know how devastating this has left you. It may be that they are feeling exactly the same as you are feeling but don’t want to knock you back thinking you are okay with it all. (I hope what I am saying makes sense)

You’ll be surprised how much of a relief a really truthful hug feels like  Hugging 

you sound like a nice person so your aunt is in good hands with you helping to look after her after her operation. 

take care and when you feel like it, shout it out that you are happy, but also chat on here with others of how it’s made you feel. You’ll be surprised of others going through the same turmoil. X

Mags56 

• Everyone is different when it comes to hiding things or telling the world about things. For my part I told everyone and still remind them from time to time. I still spend most of my time out of doors cycling, gardening etc. but I go to extreme lengths to protect myself and that means that I wear rather eccentric cycling kit, for instance. My club mates understand that my appearance is to protect me so I get no one making fun of me. Re applying factor 50 half way through the ride is the norm and people understand. I wear SPF50 arm skins and leg skins (in white) so I look like I'm wearing stockings - yes I'm a bloke - does it matter? No it doesn't. Do what you feel comfortable with but stay safe and enjoy life. I send my best wishes to you and hope you stay healthy.

• Thank you so much for replying. Really helps and is appreciated  x 

• I can relate to the melanoma on your face x mines was just above my left eyebrow and the scar runs from just above my eyelid to nearly my hairline. I am a 13 months post surgery and the scar at the time  absolutely devastated me but now it’s so so much better. I used lots of bio oil on my scar to help with the healing. I am one treatment away from completing a years worth of immunotherapy and I am hoping with every ounce of me it never returns and my life can get back to normal. Facing C at 41 was not in my plans. Wishing you well x